Boat seats or lawn chairs?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by KansasKatter, Mar 5, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    As of now, we take a couple of lawnchairs on the boat to fish out of, but was considering puting some seats with pedastals in the boat.

I like the comfort of the lawn chairs, but would there be any advantage to putting in seats?

Sometimes the lawn chairs are TO comforatable, I end up fallin asleep! LOL:cool2:

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have both for My boat, and use both for different situations. for controlled drift fishing or running the trolling motor I use a ped. seat if I'm just gonna be still fishing from an anchored postion I use My fold up "lawn Chairs"

3. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I like the being able to turn around in my seats to run the trolling motor or cast from the other side of the boat. I've got the fold up padded jon boat seats on 7" pedestals and they are very comfortable. If I had lawn chairs, I would fall asleep too..LOL!!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    One February while fishing the Chicahominy River in Va, my partner and I were laughing at two gentlemen who had the lawn chaise lounges set up in their jon boat. One faced port, the other starboard. We were somewhat envious of the two guys. Suddenly, one of them got a bite and he leaned forward to pick up his pole. The boat just rolled over. We were fishing with cane poles so we just chunked them in the water and started the motor up. We managed to pull one of the guys into our boat without swamping and another boat picked up the second. We headed for the bait house at the low water dam. Took about 10 to 12 minutes to get there. The old guy was turning blue. Outside temp was around 19 at the time. Other boats picked up what equipment they could find - only thing lost was one tackle box. At any rate, you can have all the lawn chairs and boats you want... I'll not set in one. LOL

5. DrewDennis

DrewDennis New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That does sound a bit dangerous! I think I will stick to boat seats...

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yes for a regular ol jon boat it would be dangerous.
    Jeff's boat is plenty big for lawn chairs.
    You could sit on the side and not flip that boat.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a 16 foot 54 inch beam Jon (for sale) with a side console that we use two lawn chairs (metal and canvas director type). You are not going to tip that boat over. My 20 footer (picking up Friday) will carry 4 chairs. I like the adaptability of being able to move around. What are you guy talking about sleeping for? Mine will have some kind of shelter and a heater. Add that with my sleeping bag and yeah I'll be asleep. That's why God made clickers!!!! :big_smile:

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah iv had lawn chairs in mine but its 16' x 72" its completely safe vern and i have both stood on the stern on one side and lifted a fifty pound cat over in the boat with no fear of sinkage and the back of my boat has two batteries and a 6 gallon tank and a concrete block for an anchor along with a 40hp mariner .

iv teased bout putting a leather recliner in the boat :lol:

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    In my old boat (17 foot Fisher) we definately rocked out the lawn chairs. Two on the front deck, life of luxury. Now I got a 14 footer and we use the pedestal seats. It was too hard to drive a tiller motor with the lawn chairs. Miss those days though :)

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I use the fold up camping chairs in my boat. Can't beat them for being comfortable. One note though, always remember to tell your buddy to hang on before nailing the throttle. He came real close to rolling out the back. Don't worry as soon as I shut it down he rolled back to the front. :big_smile:

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Stay with the lawn chairs. You'll fall out of them pedestal seats and drowned:big_smile:

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL, we always fold the chairs and lay them down and sit on the bench seats when it comes time to move. I would not dream of trying to drive the boat, or let someone stay in their chair while moving any distance at all.

13. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    On A deer lease I hunted in SC was an old Naugahide recliner about 35" up a tree. Some guy had built a platform and hauled it up there. It had a shingled plywood roof above it and a rail around the platform. I climbed up there to see if it had a coffee pot up there to.

:lol:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The toon is going to be all folding camp chairs and eventually some of those nice thick padded marine folding deck chairs.
    Not a thing wrong with sleeping when you go catfishing. It can be a lazy relaxing sport.
    At some point I snooze. I dont take the 2 or 3 hour catfishing trip. I'm usually out there 12 hours or more at the time.

yea, God made clickers for sleeping like he made caulking for gaps in crown molding.:lol:

15. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    One thing I know for positive, absolutely, unequivocally, sure, they don’t work in a canoe. Luck

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Boating has been the hardest thing to learn....ya can't do the monkey see monkey do method. I'm new an being careful....then ya look over and see the family from the double wide with lawn chairs, Q-grill, 4 kids, dog, TV, & what's he doing? Is he practiceing his putting? And their boat is just a lil bigger than mine! Yeah let me get ya the frisbee, got away from ya, didn't it lil guy......?
    :crazy: