Boat seat pedestals

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by rzrbk24, Feb 26, 2007.

1. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I was wonderin if anyone has put the 7" seat pedestals on their jon boat. I have a 12' jon and I want the seats a little higher so I don't have to touch my knees to my chin just to get turned around. Plus, I'm going to put in a plywood floorboard in so I'll lose another few inches. Would this be safe? Half the time when I'm bass fishin, I'm standing anyway and the boat is stable, but if I'm catfishin then I'm sittin down. Any thoughts?

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    IF you can stand in it , you should be able to raise the seats up 7" and still be good. If it don't work then you'll be out the price of 2 pedestals.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    7 inches should not make the boat top heavy, unless the flooring your putting in is two or three foot high. Keep your floor low, and you may want to look at the pedestals that can vary their height. Put in a 7 inch one and your stuck with 7 inches. Unless you have one of the big jon boats, I would hesitate to recommend you stand up in it to bass fish. Sometimes those strikes scare the crap out of you, and you could flip right into the water. Better safe than sorry.

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I have a 14' jon boat, and I built a deck for mine like that of a bass boat. 3 lids for storage, but non-divided space, then 1 space seperate from storage for my livewell. between th front 2 lids I put a seat tall enough I can sit in, w/o havin my knees in my face. I have a 10 horse evinrude pushin it w/no prob. So far as long as u r careful, should be fine.

5. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Thanks for the tips. The flooring I'm doing is only gonna be a few inches high. It's mostly to have a flat surface in the bottom of the boat. I lke the idea of not having to stand so I'm definately gonna go with the 7" pedestals. Thanks everyone for your help

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I found that out the hard way a couple years ago

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I almost did too. Fishing w/the father in law, on a jon boat, taking a leak. He got a hit and went for his pole. I lost my balance and started reaching for anything I could get a hold of. Neither one of us has any idea how I did it, but I managed to stay in the boat after my butt hit the water. Other than the seat of my pants, I was dry. I probably couldn't do that again in a million years.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Iwas doing the same thing as you only I hit the water and got soaking wet this was in march thought I was going to freeze:embarassed:

9. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have the 7" pedestals with some folding seats. I used the bench seat clamps and it puts my butt just far enough off the bench to be comfortable. When I bought the boat it had a plywood floor, or pretty much what was left of one; it was badly rotted. The previous owner had some 18" pedestals with the seats bolted to the plywood floor. I decided to get the short pedestals and seat clamps to save some floor space. I was going to replace the floors for a flat surface, but my boat has a very shallow V (aside fron the section in front of the 1st bench) so I decided to skip the added weight since it was very easy to stand in already. I used the money I would have spent on plywood and carpet to get new trailer lights.