Boat Safety

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by cathog, Jan 9, 2009.

1. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I just got home, and while on my way home I was driving across the 2 mile bridge on Lake Tawakoni. For those of you that know the lake, when the wind blows it gets really rough. I noticed a bass boat on the south side of the bridge just getting after it, if it porpoised any more it would have flipped over backwards. The waves were about 4 feet tall. All of a sudden the bow just submarined through a wave. I drove over to the boat ramp on the west side of the bridge. When I got there I could see the guys in the boat scrambling around putting on life jackets and such. The boat was really low in the water, so the waves just kept rolling over it. I guess the big motor died because I saw one of the guys dropping the trolling motor. A fire truck pulled on the bridge about 5 minutes later. I guess the owner of the boat went back and got the big motor started. They limped over to the boat ramp, luckily it was out of the wind. When they got therethe firemen and I met them at the ramp, the owner of the boat was cussing"Ill never buy another *&^%^& Cajun again. I got to noticing, the boat was only a 16 footer. There were 3 grown men in it, and enough gear and such to account for the weight of 2 more men. The tag in the boat read 4 people and I dont remember the weight capacity. I was thinking to myself "idiot, it aint the boats fault". Needless to say the guys were all right, but this could have turned out much worse. I am not trying to preach, but no fish is worth dying for. Use common sense and follow the guidelines on your boat for capacity and such. And use your head when it comes to the weather, if it aint safe dont go. By the way, the bilge pump was still running when I left 20 minutes later. Just my 2 cents.

2. spencerg

spencerg New Member

State:
    oglesby texas
    Man you are right, it wasn't the boat's fault. That probly happens more than you think. How often do you think about how much your gear weighs? Me personally I have a 14ft flatbottom, great for the river, terrible for the lake. Its all i have though. Me and my 10 year old went out recently and the wind started comin. I immeadiatly headed for the ramp. I wouldn't have cared if i was pullin in 20#fish like catchin perch, there ain't no fish in any lake worth puttin my kids life in danger for. Just my 2 cents. Life Jackets Save Lives, I just hope I never have to see if mine works.:big_smile:

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i agree that no fish is worth SOMEONE ELSE's life.
    I am willing to spend thousands of dollars and fish in the hardest weather (icy decks and whitecaps, stumps and heavy fog) just to catch that monster cat. I try to fish smart but there are times when no matter what you do it is not really safe. I have been out in my big boat and said "wow, i'm kind of puckered right now" when the really big waves started up, and i was on the wrong side of a big lake.
    I personally wear a life jacket in only extreme circumstances, like 25mph winds, or tons of traffic on the lake, or 35 deg water temps.
    With that being said, if someone is with me other than 2 or 3 of my more extreme friends, i will creep and crawl around a lake. They always have a life jacket available and i ask them if they are gonna wear it before we move. It is their option so, they dont have to wear it if they dont want to.
    My one recommendation to new boaters is to know the limits of your equipment. I had to find out the limits of my 17' bass boat the hard way. when it says 450lbs it doesnt mean 450lbs in all weather. hard weather you better keep it as light as possible as well as having a good (balanced) load plan

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    So they were going wave to wave on four footers and didn't put PFD on until after the boat got swamped?
    I doubt the guy will have to worry about buying another Cajun; probably won't live long enough to wear out the one he has.
    You can't fix stupid:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:
    ...W

5. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    This guy sounds like a candidate for the Darwin awards.

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    It was pretty funny after no one was hurt. The other thing I found funny was me standing out there at the boat ramp. What the heck could I have done 400 yards away from them on dry land:smile2:

7. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    It didn't take but once to be caught on a lake that got real rough, real fast. Was in a pretty stable deep v, but it was still a scary ride back to the ramp. I bought 2 inflatable PFD's, one for me, one for my son, who is with me pretty regular. I've been trying to make it a habit to wear it all the time. When I came off the lake Thursday, tied up to get the truck, noticed when I got in the truck I still had it on. Guess that is about habit enough.