Boat rod what size?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfishcrazyjr, Jan 21, 2007.

1. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what size and brand rod you boys use for a boat rod?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ain't but one rod worth using for Catfish, The "Ugly Stik Catfish" rod, or just about any other Ugly Stik for that matter.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Kat Jr said true words I don't like anything over 7 foot for in the boat.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You already know the brand I use and I use all 8 footers on the boat.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Come on guys, thats just opinions. Like is a Rolls Royce better than a Pinto. LOL. The question was length not brand, and in my humble opinion, a 7 foot rod is about the longest I'd want to use in a boat. I don't know what brand I have, but I would not trade them for the rolls royce. I stand corrected. He also asks for brands. LOL

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    pretty much th final word rite there!!!!:big_smile: :tounge_out:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use to use 7 ft. rods then switched to 8 footers for the extra casting distance.

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Mine are 7' rods with Spinning Reels mounted on them.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I 2nd what Zakk said, ugly stiks rule..The catfish rods are great, so are the ugly stik tiger rods.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'm with John R; 7 ft,spinning and I use PENN slammers in white.Now one thing to consider in Length to use in boats.Once you get that monster whipped and you try and get him (her) in netting range you dont want to long a rod or you will have to back up a lot and possibly go over the other side.!!!!:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: Someone said they use 8ft for the increased casting range.Why?If you find good structure and set up on it you dont want to cast to far from it.If you are in a boat you usually dont need to cast to far.Just making a statement not critcizing.I would say 90% of the guides at Santee use Uglies or tigers but that might be because they have Shakespeare sponsorships:big_smile: :lol: :roll_eyes: :tounge_out:

11. kansas bluecatter

kansas bluecatter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use 8' e-glass John Jamison signature series bluecat rods made by the Rod Shop in Kansas City. Course I am partial because they sponsor me. But all kidding aside they are great boat rods that come in 3 different sizes. If you would like more info you can contact Tom Know who is the owner of the Rod Shop at 816-454-6740.

12. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use 7" ugly stick catfish and other old rod heavy action in 70s.

13. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    7ft Daiwa beefsticks
    they do a great job

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im with Awshucks on this brand aint important we're talkin length here i like a 7 or 7.5 footer anything longer seems to get in the way for me

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I came up fishing inside wooden barges,log jams,jetties and breakwaters often made of huge Granite boulders along with creeks,rivers,lakes,the Gulf and the Atlantic.A 14 to 20 foot Cane or Calcutta pole was great for fishing down in salt water jetties,a Santee log jam or the fleet of old wooden barges grounded and abandoned at the mouth of Lake Marion's Chapel Branch,which was my back yard as a kid.As a adult I also had certain hollow stumps and logs that the 22 inch Ice fishing rod was great for pulling fish out of.I came up learning to fresh water fish with the "Cane Pole Crowd".We learned to handle long poles afloat and ashore as that is what we had.We did not have the thousands of hours of TV influence and "Brainwashing" (The official US Government name for it when the North Korean Communist did it)or "Advertising" (The name for the same thing when Madison Ave.is paid to get you to buy something)that fishermen today are subjected to.To be a rod and reel TV type fisherman a short 5-8 foot rod is convenient,practical and the length to be filmed with.I have found it severely restrictive to many types and places to fish.To get into and out of the many places that I have fished.You will have to have a wide variety of lengths and setups to fish where I fished.Yes I love a 7 foot rod,But.But when I wanted to fish where the TV cameras don;t ever get to,I used my "Outlaw?" lengths.I know that I was not proper,but I have fished many places that the proper rod guy has only dreamed of.You can also catch the fish that they dream of too.If you are to fish where others do not,all good boat rods will not be the rods that you can fish off of a pier or dock with.You can see hundreds of thousands of boats that are strictly used as portable piers or docks.For me,there is no perfect rod,pole or rig for all fishing.Even out of a boat.I have found times that a hand line worked best.I love you brothers and sisters.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think a 6' foot rod be a good one for boat fishing.