boat rigs and rod holders

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by wishiwasfishing, Sep 9, 2008.

1. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    Does any body have any good pics of their rigs so i can get some ideas on rod holders and lighting systems?

2. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    I have seen some pretty nice looking rod holding systems while looking through the member library check it out im sure you will find something

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    What kind of boat you putting it on?

4. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
  5. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here are some pictures of my rod holders. I was told that having someone make it for me out of aluminum would have been easily $ 200. I made this for approximately $120. Not including the cost of the rod holders themselves. I used handles to make it easier to remove when not in use. This seams to work really well. Hope this helps.
    $30 each for the two bases installed by a boat dealer =60
    $10 each for the seat bases =20
    $10? for the 2x8 =10
    $5? for the handles =10
    $10 for the lacquer =10
    $ 5-10 in hardware =10
    approx $120
    IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

6. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Thats a nice set up you made:smile2:

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Here is mine, stainless steel tubing with 1/2" stainless steel driftmasters

Attached Files:

8. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    You should talk to Cuz on here he has a big daddy and if yours is set up like his then a rod rack is really not practical. Grumper on here made some mounts for the back of Cuz's boat that work and look like they were made with the boat. Many on here prefer a rod rack but others like myself feel that they get in the way a lot. It is really a matter of preference and I have seen some nice rod racks but it isn't for me. The two that were shown here are very nice racks guys.:wink: I like the set up that Grumper and Cuz have, they are both different but fish great. Get ahold of Grumper and he can show you what I am talking about.

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I have to agree with Ryan. There are some nice rod racks out there, but you can keep your rods closer to you mounted on the gunwale, and not compromise the rear deck space.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

I didn't know that Ryan.....what would you do with my boat? I am always looking to make improvements and am open to suggestions. I don't have a rear deck to sit up on like Cuz does, but am curious on how you would set up my boat if it were yours. You have fished out of my boat alot and I value your opinion. Thanks buddy!

11. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thanks Bill, I like your boat but for instance when we had to land your first 50 lber of the year I had to climb over that bad boy to get him. I don't know if you have fished out of Grumps boat lately but he has his set up pretty nice. I like how he has the driftmaster mounted on the deck of the boat and one on each side of the boat, kind of like your front ones are now. When a fish hits you can pick it up and step on the deck to maneuver around rods and other lines. It also helps when you have a big one on in heavy current to get him to the back where there is a little bit of a current break on the surface from the boat. This is true especially if you have a side counsel and you have to land a fish around that, just think how much easier it would be to have a guy on the back deck with a net. Having the rod holders mounted on the deck just frees up a lot of room for getting to the back compartment or clearing limbs caught under the motor or checking your transducer. Like I said though, they are a matter of preference and your boat fishes great Bill but that is my 2 cents on rod racks.

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd suggest you fish out of a few different boats and decide for yourself. My personal opinion on low-mounted rods is that they are in the way. When a good fish is on someone will usually have to clear rods to avoid a bunch of tangled lines.

The design of mine compromises ZERO deck space and allows you to fight the fish to the side of the boat by handing the rod under other ones with no need to clear lines. Works great for me.

I still have unhindered access to my rear deck lid and motor etc......no lost space whatsoever.

I'll also mention the safety factor if fishing the river.That rod rack sure seems like a nice barrier to prevent a possible spill into the river. Not that this would happen often but it is comforting to have it. Not to mention those restroom breaks when the water is rough.

See what you personally prefer.

Folks have different preferences and I respect that but try a few things out and decide what works best for you.

13. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    Yeah that makes sense, last week my buddy had to crawl under the rod holders on the back of the boat to net my fish. We got the fish in the boat but I could definetly see how an open deck would have made it alot easier.