Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Old Squeezer
This is a good common sense rule.
However, it is going to "hurt" nudists.

Registered
Typical stupidity. Usually haqppens when some legislators have nothing to do. So now we have to do something to show that we are earning out money.
Not a thought is given to the FACT that in many cases the legislators have no qualifications to know anything about the subject that they are writing laws about.
It's very similar to that $15 minimum wage thing. This law is de3structive to the economy of the U.S. After it is begun it will almost litterly be impossible to start a small business in the U.S. any more. How that applies to fishing is...how many aluminum flat boats do you know of that have a key operated dash board ?

Registered
This is nothing like the minimum wage law. Making the shut off switch a law on federal waterways will not hurt the economy in any way. This isn't the forum to argue about that sort of thing, by the way I'm pretty sure we would agree on the minimum wage thing. To me this is more like making seat belts a law. It shouldn't have to be a law I say let the stupid be stupid. The difference on a kill lanyard and seat belt is the seat belt pretty well just protects the occupant, the kill lanyard/switch could save the occupant and other boaters. A run away boat from an idiot operator not using a kill lanyard might not just hurt the operator, but the boat could strike another vessel.

Most outboards have a kill switch for a lanyard to be attached too be it a counsel or tiller boat. My tiller steer from 1991 has one, I use it. I run some skinny snag filled rivers last thing I want is to accidentally strike a barely submerged stick up get ejected and have my boat continue to run away. If you happen to have a really old engine without the kill switch it's not hard to add one. This really shouldn't have to be a law to make people have a kill switch, but then again it shouldn't have to be law to get people to wear a seat belt. Common sense and a value for your own life should be enough to make people use one.

Registered
This is nothing like the minimum wage law. Making the shut off switch a law on federal waterways will not hurt the economy in any way. This isn't the forum to argue about that sort of thing, by the way I'm pretty sure we would agree on the minimum wage thing. To me this is more like making seat belts a law. It shouldn't have to be a law I say let the stupid be stupid. The difference on a kill lanyard and seat belt is the seat belt pretty well just protects the occupant, the kill lanyard/switch could save the occupant and other boaters. A run away boat from an idiot operator not using a kill lanyard might not just hurt the operator, but the boat could strike another vessel.

Most outboards have a kill switch for a lanyard to be attached too be it a counsel or tiller boat. My tiller steer from 1991 has one, I use it. I run some skinny snag filled rivers last thing I want is to accidentally strike a barely submerged stick up get ejected and have my boat continue to run away. If you happen to have a really old engine without the kill switch it's not hard to add one. This really shouldn't have to be a law to make people have a kill switch, but then again it shouldn't have to be law to get people to wear a seat belt. Common sense and a value for your own life should be enough to make people use one.
I appreciate what you said. I was born way before seat belts became a requirement, but started wearing them the min they became mandatory. But no outboard that I have owned has had one of those cut off switches. Yea I'm a dinosaur. But then none of my outboards could push a boat more than 4 or 5 KPH either. I guess my memory needs an up-date when all of the outboards that I've had didn't have one of those switches.

Registered
Any waterway under the jurisdiction of the federal govt

Registered
Steve from Mississippi
Federal Waterway is any water that is navigable by commercial traffic crossing state lines or upkept by the Corp of Engineers. If it is use by barges it will be federal. If it has lock and dam systems, it will be federal. And of coarse offshore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts