Boat Registration

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Katmaster Jr., Jan 20, 2007.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Okay, we just got a new boat, and we really want to get it registered as soon as possible. But the thing is, the only bait shop around is here is and will not be open for a long time.

So I have a couple questions, does Wal-Mart do it? I wouldn't think they would, but just thought I'd ask since there's one very close.

Or can you do it on the NC website?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Here in Arkansas to register a boat you have to go to the State Revenue Office. Just like a car and they get your money and give new papers showing the registration number and also title and license the trailer.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, disregard this thread I guess, I just did what I should have done in the first place....went straight to the NC website, and checked all of the places around me that can do it, there is one place about 20 miles away I've never heard of that supposely does it, and a few places about 45 minutes away.

Hope to try to get it done tommorow, you know how it is when you get a new boat, you just really want to get it out there.:big_smile:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Over the phone and online.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    there you marks got it down pat.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You bought it in NC?
    If you bought from a NC dealer they should have taken care of that for you.
    They are allocated hull numbers for this purpose.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    No, we got it in VA. But how can you register it online? I tried searching to find where you could do it, but couldn't figure it out....sorry for the dumb questions.:embarassed:

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You probally cant, I wasnt thinking. You can probally renew online. I have got several salvage titles (registrations) over the phone in the past but not recently.
    I had the list of agents pulled up I was going to link you but you beat me to it. I would call ahead before I went. To be honest some of these agents aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree or either the staff they have on hand doesnt have a clue.
    Walmart is the last place you would want to go if they did do it.:big_smile:

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL, yeah I don't think Wal-Mart would be a very good place to do it at all.

Anyway, you're right, we will call before going.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I had to wait on a fella that was fishing with me 45 minutes to get a duplicate fishing license from Walmart.
    It should have taken 5 minutes at the most.

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    You can print forms off on computer, but then you have to mail them in and it takes about a month to come back. best to go to place that does it they will give you temp reg to get you started. make sure you have title to boat AND title to trailer. they are as picky about boats as they are tittleing a car. all paper work must be right. I had to go back to guy I bought boat from and get bill of sale notorized. if regeisted in VA and you live in NC you will have to change numbers on boat.

12. catfish101

catfish101 New Member

State:
    nc
    pay sale tax on boat you will pay nc tax on trailer when you get tags but
    not on boat bought i. va . i got a title for boat in 1999 they sent me letter in 2005 cost me over double ask the person that does your income tax they might be able to help with tax

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the replies, found a place that I didn't expect did it, they are only about 20 miles away, and we will take care of it tommorow.

Thanks for the advice about tax, luckily when we bought the boat they told us everything we need to do to avoid having to pay extra.

14. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    You might as well print out forms and mail it in. All the Agent is going to do is mail the papers and you still have wait on the license. Your new bill of sale is temp license. Found this out last year the hard way. As of Jan 1 you have to title the boat also (I think).