Boat registration question....

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by harper81, Feb 19, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Am I not allowed on the water until the boat is registered? Or is a copy of the bill of sale good enough until the registration comes in? The boat is registered until 2010 in Tennessee and I have a copy of the registration card, but obviously its not in my name yet since I just purchased the boat. I probably should have asked this before I went out the first time. I just wanted to check cause I would like to fish the Wateree tourney next week, but I don't think I will get the registration back by then.

2. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    When you send in for your registration you should be able to fill out a temporary card from the paperwork and use it for 45 days I do believe. Im not 100% certain about this though. If you sent everything off already you should get it back in time as they are normally fairly quick with the return if you got everything filled out properly. You might have a problem with changing the boat from TN to SC though.

About 2 years ago we bought a jet ski that was registered in TN and the person who sold it to us never registered it in his name. He didnt have the TN registration and SC would not register it for us until we tracked down the original seller in TN and got the right paperwork.

3. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm pretty sure you can use it for period of time while waiting on your registration (I can't remember if 30 days is the grace period or not). Getting your registration may take 2-4 weeks, I guess depending on their workload. Look on the SCDNR website and it will tell you what the law is,if you can make yourself read thru all the stuff on there.......or you can just call Columbia

4. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    As long as the stickers are in date you should be fine. I saw a post were Steve was going to give you the registration card. Thats all you need till you get your stuff back.

5. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Yeah I have a copy of the card. He scanned it and emailed it to me so I don't have the original.

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    You can print everything you need off of the SCDNR website and mail it in tommorow,it should be back by next weekend,but you should be ok with what ya got if it hasnt come back,just make sure everything else is in line according to boating regs,if they stop you on the water they will more than likely look it over with a fine tooth comb.

7. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I know that in tennessee that when you pay the taxes on the boat they give a temporary piece of paper that is good for 30 days. Don,t know about sc though.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  9. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I found the official answer on the DNR site...

A new or used vessel with valid expiration decals may be operated for up to 60 days from the date of purchase when the temporary watercraft certificate (which comes attached to the application) and a bill of sale are carried on board.

10. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC