Boat ramps

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catstalker07, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are there any boat ramps on the Muskingum River between Dresden and Coshocton?

Thanks

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there is a ramp in coshocton, and they are currently buliding on in dresden, there aren't any in between.

3. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How is the parking and lighting? Is it safe to leave you truck there? I hunt in the area a lot and I noticed the area looks good for flatheads; at least it looks good on the map. My plans are to try that area and a new place in southern Ohio.

Thanks for the responce!

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i can't remember i think it may be lighted in coshocton. the couple of times i used that ramp i didn't have any problems.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    In CoshoctnI don't believe it's lighted but half the time I leave the keys in the truck.
    I have never seen more than 3 boat trailers there at any one time. The Dresden ramp is done, but the road to it um... isn't.

It may look good but there are no fish there. :roll_eyes:

You do want to make sure you can run in less than a foot of water cause there is some mighty skinny water there, at least on the Coshocton end. Jus west of the 83 bridge is an area you want to hug the SR16 side. I have turned my boat around rather suddenly a couple of times coming up river at night.

6. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the information. I run on the Scioto South of Columbus and I have been out of my boat a few times pulling it through shallow water. It is work but I get to some really nice holes that most people won't get too. I have been rewarded with some 40+ flatheads.
    Couple of times a year I like to try new waters so I will take a look at it. IF the road is not finished at Dresden can you still drive to the boat ramp?

Again, thanks to everyone for the information

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i wouldn't advise it. but i have 2w drive. it floods really bad down there. i would even suggest checking water levels before coming. i have seen both areas in cos. and dresden flooded unable to get to.:smile2:

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    For real! I had to put in at Riverside last week because although not flooded, the ramp at Coshocton was "mudded" (80' of river bottom mud about 6-8 inches deep). It gave a whole new meaning to "sit and spin!

9. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds bad. I will not travel that far until June. By then maybe the weather will be good. Does anyone know when the road to the ramp in Dresden will be completed? I like to look at places so when the fall comes I have several places to fish. I think its one of the best times to catch 40+ fish.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i work for the company that is supose to pave it and the parking lot. last i knew the turnover date wasn't until late summer. if your wanting to target 40 pound plus fish i wouldn't suggest coming up this far north. they have been caught, but only a hand full i know of. lots of five to 10 pounders. a few 20's and 30's but not many monsters are caught consistently. i would suggest fishing more south towards south zanesville, mcconnelsville towards the ohio. they catch some true brutes that way. im looking on exploring that water more this year. i want to catch a 50 plus myself. i have never seen anything over 42 in 15 yrs. fishing this area.

11. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My biggest was 54 on the Ohio River. When I am down there I put in at Fork Run State Park and cross over to the WV side. Down stream there are some great spots.
    I have seen a couple over fifty in the Scioto however; my best is just over 40. I have hunted down where you are talking about and it does look good. That is another area I will try. No matter where I go it seems like I catch my biggest fish on Hognose suckers. 6" to 10" June to the middle of August then I use 10" to 20". Yellow bellys are good also but if I had one bait it would be hognose suckers. Might see you out there sometime. I still have to try the Dresden area a few times just to get it out of my system.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    those are great baits, i love using suckers. there are so many leatherback turtles they are hard to use at times around here. i usually fish weekends around dresden, and now since theres a good ramp, will use it alot. maybe i will see you on the water bro. don't get your hopes up though about doing really well. sounds like you have some great places to fish already. i dream about catching that 50!!!:smile2: it may only take a trip to get it out of your system.lol it's not the best looking area that i have seen and fished around here.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have caught a few flats there at dresden but they were all under 5lbs. I was bank fishing at the time so I was limited as to where I could go. I did get my boat up thru there once a couple yrs back and seen lots of holes that were no deeper than 4 or 5 ft. Seems like its a hard place to fish without a jet. I had to get out and pull my boat thru riffels every mile or so and it still looked like small fish water. Don't get me wrong there may be big fish up there but I have better luck and (much less trouble) catching 30's and 40's around Zanesville. The average depth is greater and the forage base is deeper. Put in up at Ellis dam or down at Riverside park or even Putnam landing. If you bank fish try under the Y-Bridge dam. Every other year a 70+ pounder comes outta there. I just can't get my boat close enough.LOL I plan on hitting the Philo and McConnelsville area more this year cause the Riverside stretch doesn't seem to hold many over 45 or so and I'm on the hunt for a state record. I even scouted out the ramps down by Beverly and Stockport which look inviting.

14. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    "I'm on the hunt for a state record" - That is a good goal! I have thought about that myself and tried. I once fished a place on the Ohio River around the middle of September. Some guys were fishing for stripers watching me set up. I pulled out some suckers 20" to 25" that I had brought with me. They thought I was nuts. About 11:00 the clicker went off and they just stopped fishing to watch. I had three big fish on in the next 2 hours but could not keep them hooked. One I had in about twenty yards from shore. I fought the fish for 25 minutes then he came to the top and it was like he just spit the bait out. He was the biggest fish I have had on to date. Of course I don't know how big but I have caught a few in my time and nothing fought like that fish. Make sure your equipment is ready, you may only get one chance.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Gammakatsu Rules lol.