Boat Ramps on the White River

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ScottWiseman, Apr 3, 2006.

1. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I am wondering if anyone knows of any boat ramps south of Martinsville along the White River? The closest I know of is Spencer and that is a haul to get back to Martinsville. Any ideas? Thanks...

2. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Unfortunately, there is no boat ramps in between Henderson Ford Access and Spencer Access. A friend of mine did ask one of the CO's checking our license Sat. night if he knew of any plans for ramps in either Paragon or Gosport. The CO knew of no upcoming plans, but did say he would like for that to happen in the future. Have you ever considered dropping in at Waverly boat ramp and floating to Henderson Ford? It's an all day trip, and one my friend and I are talking about doing next week. Hope this helps.

3. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Thanks for the info! I have been told that there is boat ramp in Gosport City Park that is not state run but city owned,but I havent found it. That trip that you are talking about I have made many many times. It is a good trip. I have fished pretty much any area between Henderson Ford and Waverly and most points north. There are some good spots there. Look for feeder creeks when you go...always had my best luck at them. Especially if there is lumber nearby. Secondly...throw some cut bait also. They love it. My biggest flathead of almost 30 lbs came from this stretch of river. And dont overlook the deep holes below some of the ripples/rapids. Nice fish there too. Thanks again for the info.

4. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Many thanks to you as well for the info. I've never boated on the river before, and I hope we end up trying it. All my fishing comes from the bank, but I never fail to ponder, "What's in between these ramps!?!?" lol.

5. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I bank fish 80% of the time too. For bank fishing, you may want to try further south on 67 by HWY 39 or go even further south to Gosport and Spencer. The bank opportunities are more abundant the further south you go. As always, make sure it is not posted land. The boat ramps at Waverly and Henderson Ford generally dont produce a ton of fish, but if you walk south through the woods at Henderson Ford (there are trails that go back), you can find some excellent holes and nice bends. Pack light though...it is a haul. :)

6. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If we don't do the float-down from Waverly to H.F. this weekend, my friend was gonna take me to Spencer. I've never fished it but DNR claims bank fishing is excellent. As far as Gosport, I've been there twice....both times my buddy drove. All I know is he drove through a housing/lot division, and that the section we fish is parallel to RR tracks. There are very nice eddys in that area, although I haven't caught anything there yet, it does look promising.

7. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana

your on my neck of the woods now...i am only 2 miles or less from henderson ford....there are some huge cats in there ya just gotta get rid of that small cut bait..lol....your a big carp man..have you ever been to the pond behind the parking lot at henderson ford?? BIG carp in there !!!

8. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    What pond???? How did I miss that?? Tell me more!!! :)

9. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think I know what he was talking about. It's prolly 100 or so yards walking away from the river ramp. Straight into the woods. Never fished it, but there is plenty of fish in there I been told.

10. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    yeah crackr , it's just right behind there..killer crappie..nothing smaller than 10" so far...bass-2lbs + so far....the biggest thing i use the pond for is bait...big gills...scott you'll be in heaven the way you catch carp....you can see 3 and 4 footers swimming everywhere.....

11. Brutom

Brutom New Member

State:
    Cumberland Indiana
    I'll have to investigate this pond!

Right, Scott?

12. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Road trip Bruce? We can do that...just tell me when...anytime after Patoka this weekend.

13. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey bruce , if your a carp man and by the looks of your pic i would say so...you'll love the pond...it's not deep and it is absolutely loaded with snags BUT, the fish are in there...

14. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    there used to be a city ramp south of gosport . ihaven't benn there for a long time .