Boat ramps near Grove, OK?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Seth, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Been reading about snagging paddlefish in the winter and seems the Grove area is a good spot. I've never been down to Grand Lake and have no idea on where the boat ramps are around Grove. Can somebody point me to a map or something that has the boat ramp locations for that area?

Thanks. Seth

2. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Howdy Seth. The best and closest free ramp is the city ramp just out side of Grove. That I know of. Of course when I snag this time of year it's around sailboat bridge. The city ramp is only about 2 min from sailboat bridge if that. Maybe south grand laker will be by and give some more info. Check out the grand lake fishing report. They update it some time's. lol. You can find them in the main channel on both sides of the bridge. Hope this helps. rudeopossum

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Thanks a bundle. Yea I am really getting the itch to tangle with some spoons, but still have to wait over 2 months for season here in MO.

Just to be sure on the permits and stuff, I just need a NR fishing license and then a free paddlefish permit correct? Can I just stop off somewhere like a Walmart and buy this stuff over the counter or do I need to apply online? Also, you can only use one barbless treble and can only tag/keep one fish per day, right?

As far as rigging goes, our setups are 12' surf rods and we usually throw 4-6oz of lead and cast instead of troll. It sounds like the fish are really deep right now and we'd need to go up in weight by quite a bit. What type of snagging setup do you prefer?

4. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    No problem man. Yep, just the NR license and free paddle fish permit. Anywhere that sales license should be able to fix you up. And be sure to close the barbs completely or file them off. Only tag one a day, but if you don't tag one and release them as soon as you land it you can snag all day. Always check the new fishing regs to make sure there are no changes. I have not checked for 09, but I will and let you know if I see any. You will need more weight and I troll the main channel. I use a shorter rod, thats just a preference of mine. Most of the guys I see use the longer rods like you. You might want to think about coming down to twin bridges during April. With being able to release them soon as you land them till you tag one, you can snag till ur arms are falling off. Let me know if you need more info. rudeopossum

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Once it opens up here in MO on March 15, I'll be living on Tablerock for my paddlefish fill. Last year during the last two weeks of April it was like shooting fish in a barrel thanks to the high water. All the fish were holed up as far as they could go in water 1-12' in depth.

Thanks again for all the information you've given me. Hopefully we can make it down sometime this month and give it a shot.

6. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    seth i haven't fished up around sailboat in a while, but rudepossum's bout got it right there off the river channel on bothsides of sailbaot this time of year, in usually aruond 40 to 50ft deep, you don't need a long rod to get at them, should find them stacked up on your locater, right now below the grand river dam, there stacked up down passed cabbage hollow bluffs off the outsides of the river channels in not so much of deep water however it's around 30 ft, i haven't had much time to fish lately but give it 2 more months and you should find some farther up river, just watch your locater and see wehre there stacked and giver some rips, move around until you get some rolls, good luck