Boat Ramps at Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Patmansc, May 26, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I'm gonna try Lake Wylie this weekend with my wife. We've never been there, and in checking out the map I see 2 ramps on the West side: I'd like to fish by the Big Allison (only because I read about it), so which ramp would be best, the one off of Hwy 274, or SR 195? Or can anyone suggest any hopspots that they know of right now? Thanks for your help.

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    pat, i'd suggest the Allison landing off of 274. A lot less hectic that the one up at the Buster Boyd. We'll be bank fishing off of the Big Allison. Let me know when you are planning to go, i'll keep an eye out for you!

ps, give me a call this evening and i'll pass on the little i know about hot spots.

3. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Pete, thanks for the info :smile2: As of today, we're thinking about Sun or Mon. When are you going out? I just got back from Lake Robinson (only 5 miles from my house) where I caught 9 brim to use for cut bait. Gonna take my backup baits: crawlers, DK, and gonna try something new - beef liver (it was only 1 buck at Ingles). Figgure if I can't get a bite on any of those, I'll just take up knitting.

4. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    Expect lots of inconsiderate company (skiers and casual boaters) if the weather is nice, especially from about 10 am on.

I've had pretty good luck power-drifting from near the 274 bridge out to just past the powerline. Cut bream has been effective. I've not gone this year since we moved to Kershaw.

I like to rig an ultra-light spinning rig with a weight on the bottom and two small hooks tied about a foot and 2 ft respectively above the sinker. I bait one with a red worm and the other with a minnow (if I have them, otherwise worms on both). Generally we catch small white perch, yellow perch, and bream which make nice fresh bait for the catfish rods. Occasionally catch crappies and catfish. We've caught 5 lb channels this way which gives us a heck of a good time on ultra-light tackle. Other reason I do this is to pass the time while we're waiting for the big rods to bend over.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Sunday and Monday you will have loads of company on Wylie. Be careful because most of don't care about anything but their drinking/partying.

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    There usually isn't that much traffic back off of Big Allison, but it will be a holiday weeked.

Pat, I'm gonna try and be out there all three days, and as much of them as possible. We have a cookout Sunday afternoon, but other than that just fishing.

Hope you see you!

7. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Patmansc, I fish over at Robinson a good bit. Actually my partner and I just won the Big Greer Festival Tournament up there back in April this year. Thats some good fishing up there.

8. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Hi, David! Robinson is just 5 miles from my home, but my 40hp Merc is too big for the lake. I'm thinking seriously about getting a little smaller boat (my current one is 16') with a 7.5 horse motor. I"ve heard that there's good cat & crappie fishing there, and it's killin' me not to be able to fish it. I look forward to meeting you out there sometime. :big_smile:

9. CarolinaCatter

State:
    South Carolina
    I will be up there the second Saterday in June. Our little bass club will be fishing a tournament up there. We starts around 6:30 and probably quit @ 1 or 2. MAybe I'll see you. I will be fishing in a 14' Alumacraft with 9.9 Tohatsu moter.

10. CarolinaCatter

State:
    South Carolina
  11. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Well, we just got back from Wylie, and I can best describe this trip as a true adventure in boating :crazy: :confused2: :eek:oooh: There were countless big boats, and their wakes just pummeled us at times. Of course, there were several di$$heads utilizing the "bigger boat has right-of-way" navigation protocol, but hey, keeps my eye sharp and reflexes fast :roll_eyes: We did manage to catch a couple of small channels by the dam, but nada in/around the Big Allison, which was crowded like Chicago-O'hare during xmas week. My wife found it interesting that there were no public "facilities" around, so she is disinclined to return there soon. Guess we'll try Murray next :smile2:

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Patmansc I hope you were not on Wylie this weekend!!! LOL!! The second worst weekend of the year on that lake.

I fished upper Wylie on Saturday morning from 6:00am-12:00pm. We landed 11 channels from 3-6 pounds. The bite was relatively slow compared to other days, and we had to hop around to get fish. We managed a couple per location.

By 11:00 the nuts were out!! Today is Monday and I did not even venture out with it being Memorial Day. I crossed the Buster Boyd Bridge and it was unreal around 2:00pm. Boats and jet skis everywhere.

Big Allison has been tough this spring. All of the big fish I have found there have been in deep water, and there have not been that many. I have fished it from the bridge back out with little consistent success, but there have been a couple of 7-8 pound fish here and there.

13. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Patman, sorry to hear you didn't have much luck. I didn't get to fish until Monday morning, and with the heat during the day left the catfish rods at the house. My wife and i did get into a fun school of perch off of the bank back in the Big Allison, must have caught 30-40 or more.

Oh well, at least we were fishing, right?