Boat Ramp Silted In???

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by 3dukmn, Jul 21, 2009.

1. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I heard that the boat ramp below the Mel Price dam on the Missouri side was silted in. I can't find a thread here anywhere saying anything about it. I'm probably missing it, but I can't spend all day reading these posts (not like I don't anyway! :wink:

I'd appreciate any idea if the silt rumor is true. I did see that the water looks like it would be hard to get in there regardless...
    [SIZE=-1]200.5[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] Mel Price L&D TW [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]7.8 [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]-1.3[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] 7.1 6.8 6.5 07/20/09 11:53[/SIZE]
    Thanks for any help guys!!!

2. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Unfortunately, I believe the silt rumor to be true. :sad2:Skip and I were both out there on Saturday and tried to launch but didn't want to risk it so we lauched at over at the Alton marina. Hope this helps.:big_smile:

3. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Very helpful indeed. Thanks to you my friend!!

I don't know why it would take so long to clean it up. another friend of mine said it was true as well, and he called the COE to throw a little complaint their way to hopefully get that thing cleaned up.

In case you want the number - 636 899 2600

4. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    i found the number to call it is 636-753-2276 the person in charge of the ramp at maple island is Karen Wartwood when i called she gave me the runaround about how a power plant was going in in a few years and they would be putting in a new ramp just down river and the new plant would maintain the new ramp so i ask her what about now when all of us fishermen want use of the ramp she said not a lot of calls for maple island boat ramp so it's not at the top of list to be worked on so give her a call let Karen know what you think

5. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd like to ask Karen if they are building the power plant tonight, because I need a ramp tomorrow. :roll_eyes:

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Maybe we should all call Karen then! It's a handy place to launch in my opinion and it sure seems like it gets a LOT of use when it is usable!

7. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Amen brother Skip! I'm gonna go ahead and give her a call and let her know what we think. :wink:

8. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Yep,it's silted.I went by there Monday,it's unusable.

9. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Has anyone called this number? I can get it to work. Keeps saying can't place called as dailed....

10. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went down there Wednesday night, and I had to lock through to fish below. It stinks when you leave work at 2, get there by 3, lock through by 4:30 (had to wait for 2 tows to come up before they would let me down). Get to the spot by 5, fish for 2.5 hours so that we could lock back through before Dark.

Something you all should know that wants to lock through. If anyone has done this, you know you have to pull a chain at the end of the bull nose to get their attention to lock through. The chain runs along side of the ladder. Well...coming back up, the rope was broke off about 15 feet up in the air. My buddy had to get out of the boat over that boiling water below the dam to climb the ladder just to pull the chain. OMG! That was terribly scary!! :eek:oooh: I don't have a clue how someone by themselves would do it. We told the guy at the lock about it once we were in the chamber.

Also - the instructions on how to lock through are a little misleading. It says it will blow a 4 second blast when you can enter the chamber. Not true. When the light turns green, you can go in. They give you 2 short blasts when you can leave the lock.

Hope that helps.

Oh..and we weren't catfishing, so there is nothing to report there, but I did accidentally hook a paddlefish that was about 4' long. Got him in the boat, got my bait back, and released him.

11. tehed

tehed New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I called the 636-753-2276 number to ask about cleaning up the Maple Island ramp yesterday about 4:20 pm. I got an answering machine. I left my name and number and asked about the maintenance of the ramp. More people need to call and ask. The ramp is a joke below the dam. It may be usable about 2 months out of the year.:angry:

12. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I call that number and it works, but nobody ever answers. I call the number posted to my second post on this thread, and all I ever get is an answering machine too.

Maybe they gave the secretary a shovel and she is out there fixing it now. She obviously isn't too busy answering the phones!!!

13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Todd, you are mistaken on the locking.

Alton has two locks, a MAIN and Auxiliary.

One Blast is for the Main Lock, 2 blasts are for the Aux.

14. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    They have two doors pulled out of the AUX lock for maintenence. Said it would be middle August at the soonest before it is usable. :sad2: I waited and fished above the dam for 4 hours trying to lock through Thursday. :crazy:

I use a VHF radio to talk to the Mel Price. Beats pulling the rope!! :wink:

15. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    AH! I didn't know that!!! Sorry for misleading anyone!! I sat there like a fool waiting for a signal to enter the lock, and nothing happened. Then the guy comes out and waves me hard in like I was holding him up from supper! HA! There was no signal at all to enter...only to leave. I thought that was not correct. I don't know. I only know I (and the tows) got 2 blasts to leave the lock.

I went in the same locks the big boys were using. Makes sense that there are 2, but one is broken because the one had a TON of debris in front of it. I guess I don't mind taking seconds after the tows because I work for AEP River Operations (in the office, not on a boat). Either way...those boats put supper on the table for me so I can't complain about waiting for them I guess.

But I can darn sure complain that the corps has put me in that position since I can't use the boat ramp! They can lock through a little john boat, but can't take some time to clear the ramp. I just don't get that really.

16. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    you would think that it would make life better for all to clean that ramp out, the wear and tear on the lock, holding up some tows from time to time to let fishermen go, i know the lock master went out of his way to let us lock at the last tourney. he held a tow up at the end of it to lets us go so that we could get back in time for way in.

17. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    thanks for the info.