Boat Ramp Fishermen!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Apr 23, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How many of you have ever dealt with people fishing off of the public boat ramp when you come back in the middle of the night? I have had many occasions where I get back to the ramp, trying to make a weigh-in on time to find a family of four setup, coolers, lantens, lawnchairs, buckets, food, dogs, you name it taking up the whole ramp! I came in one night last year, sat there on idle and they sat there looking at me like I was disturbing their fishing. I understand these areas are public access, but also think that one out to be smart enough to know the boat ramp is for launching, and taking out the boats...Anyone else dealt with anything like this? Heck, maybe some of you are the ramp fishermen:smile2: rollo

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    a lot of the places i fish you either fish the boat ramp or walk a mile so i fish lots of boat ramps.i always real in and wait for the boat to be loaded before i put my lines back in the water and i never set my bait bucket or tackle box on the ramp.not all of us ramp fishermen are b holes.lol

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    YUP! YUP! Came in one night after dark. There was a guy tightlining off the dock. Looked at me real pi$$y as I had to duck under his line to get to the ramp. He made no attempt to move and stared at me the whole time I was recovering my boat like I was intruding on his space. What the H-E Double LL did he think I was supposed to do???? I had to get my boat out and doing that at the same location my truck and trailer are parked (as opposed to miles away at a different ramp:roll_eyes:) makes sense to me!:angry:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if they dont move i wont hesitate to run right through their lines, have done it several times now. dont forget about the yahoo's that are set up on the ramp with chairs and all when you get to the ramp area to launch. same deal, move 'em or their getting run over:angry:. i have had my share of confrontations, my usual response is "HEY! your set up on a ramp (or dock)! its the same as setting up at the entrance of a store parking lot, what are you thinking?!"

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Jason .... You need to do what a friend of mine did down in Florida .... He fished a lot at night and continually had the same problem you are talking about. After several confrontations, he purchased from a national tool company a very inexpensive Bull horn with a siren on it ... when he would get about 35 to 50 yards away from the ramp he would flash his spot light in their eyes, hit the siren one time, and announce for them to please clear the boat ramp so he could get his boat in (always staying off shore far enough the fisherman didn't know he wasn't a Game and Fish Officer) .... He said it worked quite well, even though several people got rather Pee Od that he was an officer when he pulled in. ... I guess the people fishing weren't smart enough to look and see there wasn't any G & F trucks with trailer sitting in parking lot ..... Don't ask me who gave him the idea. :eek:oooh: Garry-

6. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    I love ramp fishing! I just drill holes in the concrete so I can use my rod holders.:cool2: Boat fishermen are always getting in my way....j

/k.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Hey Garry is that illeagle to do, representing yourself as a PO PO?

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i just run over lines if they won't move after being asked nicely. usually they move the few times this has happened. but in az, we have the right to openly carry and can use to protect our property and mine or others lifes. never gone that far though.
    ones i have problems with it other boaters that won't move to prep line and block the ramp for long periods while you sit and wait.
    gary

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my luck their lines would be sucked up into my jet ouboard and take poles and all:smile2: rollo

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    They do that at tee ramps here also, right under the sign says no ramp fishing!!:eek:oooh:
    one time about 6 months ago i was getting bait off the ramp w/my cast net & watched two ppl across the ramp from each other cast out, siy on their lawn chairs, and both jump up @ the same time to hook a fish. Needless to say, they almost pulled each other in the water going back & forth. Funniest thing u ever saw.....:smile2::smile2:

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well actually you aren't going far enough to really be impersonating an Officer ... you would have to announce that you were or flash a blue light .... It is just the thoughts going through the ramp fishersman mind ... he thinks you could be ....... so you are safe .... Garry-:wink:

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Around a ramp to the river I frequent the Rangers are in there pretty often and kick out the ramp fishermen, not all of them though. As long as there not in the way I could care less, been there when I didnt have a boat. Now the ones with the attitudes that dont move ruin it for everyone. Would be alot easier if they just closed it to fishing period, save bank fishermen and boaters a big headache..

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I dont fish from a boat I fish from a bank but I have seen people setting on boat ramps fishing when people would come in with there boats, but most of the time soon as they see a boat coming in they usually get out of the way.

14. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    I have had only one person that was an idiot in alll of the times I have been night fishing. The best part was That I wasn't going to get my boat out but Going to bathroom. Well me being me said I know how to fix this problem. I spun my boat around trimed up the motor just enough and goosed the hel out of the throttle. On a May evening in Ohio that water is pretty cold. And the best of it We got one heck of a good laugh.:roll_eyes:

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish every ramp i see if it doesn't have a boat/truck on it. They tend to wash out under the end, and has proved productive more than once.

16. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Most ramps I use, the people who are fishing around them have been pretty decent. There are no wake zones around them, so I come in slow, most people reel up. If there is room I usually tell them I'll be done in just a minute and they can go back to what they were doing. Now when the "No Swimming" signs are clearly posted, I got a problem with the parents who let the kids use the docks as their personal play area, I ain't real pleasant with them if they can't understand what the signs mean.

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is a problem almost everywhere. Just pull your boat up slowly and I've never had a problem with it. Most people have the common since to give you room.

18. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Anyone with any sense would give way to the boat. But that reminds me of a trip to the OhioRiver lst year. I was bankfishing. A boat coming up river went wide to miss our lines and we both waved nicely. He then went up about 50 yards and turned back towards the shore. He then proceede to start trolling somekind of lure. Trolled right over my lines. When my rod loaded up, I layed into that fish sending his rod right out the back of his boat. The guy didn't even ask for it back as he watched me reel it in. Darndest thing. He just kept going down stream.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Must remember, that a boat ramp may be the only public place to fish..I have fished them before, but I always clear out of the way for boats coming or going.

20. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    Thats the flip side of this, i prodominantly bank fish and have had run ins with boaters running squeezing me in like they own the lake, now most fisherman are very nice and will just swing way out and will even have a conversation about the nights fishing. i dont understand why people would fish from a boat ramp knowing that umm its boat ramp and if u seen trailers in the lot they gonna come in sooner or later, flip side i dont understand why boaters think they own the lake and just run right over my lines or come within 20 yards of me fishing(not on boat ramps).