Boat Ramp Ettiquette

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by misterwhiskers, Oct 9, 2005.

1. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Summertime can produce some great fishing but also brings out many inexperienced boaters,jet skiers and plain ignorant people.
    I'm making a copy of this post to tack at my local boat ramp and are just a couple things i thought most boaters already or rather should know.

Before backing your boat onto the ramp,have it ready to unload and put in the water.
    IE;plug is in,dock ropes are secure and accessible,winch is in GOOD working order(I've seen a total of 4 boats this past summer slide of trailers and onto the ramp),Having your craft ready before you back down the ramp will avoid frustrating the others waiting in line behind you.
    When coming back to the dock have your boat ready.Noone wants to watch you store fishing poles,water skies,floating tubes,nor running lights.Its also not enjoyable to sit and watch someone fiddle around with boat straps,docking line,bumpers,engine tilting,drain plug or anything other then a very large catch.
    When putting your boat on the trailer its a good idea to have the trailer guide out of the water and not totally submerged.This will help guide the boat on the trailer correctly.As funny as it is to watch someone pull out with their boat sideways,its very frustrating watching them make the same mistake repeatedly.
    When headed in or out at night it is a courteous thing to turn off your headlights before backing down the ramp,especially if someone else is going to use the half of the ramp beside you.Unless of course you don't care about the front end of your towing vehicle.
    When there is a line in the parking lot of boats waiting to get in the water,it is a good idea to pull your boat up and out of the way of the ramp before you stop to do any of the things listed above.This may prevent alot of anger and possibly even a fist fight(which i have also witnessed a couple of this past summer).
    Basically,just use a lil common sense when taking your boat in or out of the water.

For all you Jet skiers;
    YOU HAVE THE WHOLE RIVER TO DO DOUGHNUTS IN! IT MAKES BOATERS VERY UPSET WHEN YOU DO THEM INFRONT OF THE BOAT RAMP!
    This is why you get dirty looks from boaters and one reason why we don't like you.
    Also,when you see a person on the shore with a fishing pole in his hand,its a good idea to NOT run along that part of the shoreline.These are just a couple tips to help you become more liked in the boating world.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    YOU NAILED IT WHISKERS!! I have dealt with the same type of problems at my local fishing hole! I also can't stand the guys that are waisted and running up and down the river in their big cigar boats without mufflers creating a huge wake while your trying to fish or get to your fishing hole.

Fortunately the weather is starting to cool down which has a tendancy to keep the "problem children" out of the water, at least until next spring.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Just a suggestion that works for me. When Im loading up my boat I hook the front up to the trailer and winch it up tight. Then I sit on the front of the boat and this seems to allow the boat to settle perfectly on the trailer when my partner pulls off. We go straight from there to the parking lot where we can put everything else up. Doesnt take long at all on the ramp.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    mrwhiskers you said it the best! and its so true.
    now today i did run into 2 well mannerd jetskiers and considerate too but the water skiers we ran across id like to of threw a 8 pound downrigger ball at em :cursing:

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    That was a great post, I think it would be a good thing if everyone printed it off and posted it at their local ramps. I believe in everything you said. If everyone did things in that order, boating and fishing would be a lot smoother. :)

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good post! Yesterday I saw a man and his son take out, park in the tie-down lane, and commence to fixing sandwiches and eat their lunch before heading home! Fortunately there was more than one tie-down lane.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I hate those jet skis that shoot a stream of water in the air! More than once last summer,while waiting my turn to get to the boat launch to take my boat out I have had jet skis give me a shower as the leave the boat launch!

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    A man working on his boat on the middle of the ramp. could not get to the water. :cursing:

9. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    I here a lot complants about the jet set. BUt must be very honest for some reason when i go to check boats at the ramp for safty items they are on there best behavior.I do not care for them also but this connot cloud my jugment so i do not use a marked boat sit amoung the fishermen and when they come by being reckless well the rest is self explanatory.sometines its fun god i love my job. :)

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I wish my ex had learned those rules years ago, especially the plug rule. LOL.
    It wasn't funny at the time because I was getting yelled at and a few choice words thrown at me, like it was MY fault that the boat was sinking at the ramp. Now I can laugh about it but it was embarressing at the time. Other people were thinking I was responsible when I didn't have a clue and a 10 year son and his friend to keep up with to boot.

Thanks for an enlightening post.

11. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    hehe ever notice it is always someone elses fault lol. i have my plug in before i leave my house. even i forgot it once. infact saw a guy hanging over the edge of his big ole ski boat this weekend putting a plug in hehe.

12. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    Sounds like its a good thing hes an ex now....lol
    I see that all too often at the ramp too,Can't help but wonder why instead of yellin why not simply show them what and how to do things on a boat.Would make it much more enjoyable------------for everyone.

Showed my wife and the kids how to get a boat in and out of the water and most times they can do it better than me..........
    Now if i can just get her to bait her own hook...........
    LMAO

13. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    LOL my wife can rig her pole bait her hook remove her fish and even clean fish but i cant get her to learn how to back the truck and trailer or how to load the boat lol

14. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    Whoa now,i said she can get the boat on the trailer,
    I didn't say anything about her backing up,she won't even back in the driveway,lmao
    hmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    clean the fish..........that may entail too much work on my half,i'd settle for her baiting her own hook!

15. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    hehehe yea i am a lucky man she is my fishing partner she does everything but like i said load the boat or backup lol. its easy to get them to bait thier own hooks if they want to fish well dont bait thier hooks :D