Boat ramp etiquette

Discussion in 'Boating' started by ncfowler, Jan 6, 2007.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    This really trips my ticket, the lack of boat launch etiquette. Today we were getting ready to load up the boat so I drove up to the dock and had my fishing partner take the boat out on a holding pattern till I get the truck and trailer from the parking lot and in the water. When I got to the launch there was a truck with it’s rig in the middle of the launch ( the launch handles up to 6 boats at a time) this person was doing his tie down and putting his gear away while I was waiting, when he saw me he did move his rig right in the middle of the area of the launch I was going to use, my boat was there, I had to use a different launch , I mention to this person that it was common courtesy to clear the launch and use the parking lot to tie down and stow the gear, Mind that there were other people there who I have been friends with for a long time and it is a common practice to tie down away form the launches there was about four other boater there waiting to trailer there boat,
    Boat launch etiquette
    1. Prep you boat before you get ready to launch in a area away form the launch area.
    2. Launch your boat and move the boat to end of the dock if applies out of other boater way
    3. Park your vehicle
    4. Leave the dock area wake free
    Boat loading etiquette
    1. Keep the dock clear when possible
    2. Once the boat is trailer CLEAR THE RAMP
    3 tie down in a tie down area or away form the ramp
    4 BE COURTESY TO OTHER BOATERS.
    There are times when we have a holding pattern of several boats waiting to come in and keeping the ramps clear makes this easy for everyone involved, always first come first served , I have been out on occasions where I’m alone and I have to tie off the boat and get the truck and trailer and even then I stay out of others way and clearing the ramp as quickly as possible.

2. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i agree... and from what i've seen, its not just one group of people that do it wether it be fisherman or rec. boaters... i've seen everyone go both ways on it, clearing the ramp quick, and also staying on the ramp with people still waiting to use the ramp. i used to bank fish near boat ramps.. and was always watchin how different people did different things... and some people are just set in there ways.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Some people dont think.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm usually fish alone so trailing the boat can take a little time for me. I try to launch and tie off as quick as I can so I can park or tie and get my boat trailered as quick also. So I hate to see three people with one boat drag assing around. If I alone can do everything in 5 minutes why can't three people be faster and out of the way.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Maybe it's cause I'm new to boating, but am patient. Just cause it's 3 people don't mean they know what they are doing....I'm really self conscious too, especially when alone. I want to hurry, but don't want to have a mishap either. Few times, I've give a shout to an other fella alone, want a little help? And then he'll reciprocate....an we are both safer. But I can tell from watching most fellas have more skill than me. Guess when you've done it a thousand times ya get annoyed. When I first started I waited until no one else was waiting, just so I wouldn't aggrevate anyone.
    :embarassed:

6. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    I've launched and landed countless times and really never had any serious confrontation with anyone.This could be I do not go to recreational areas where "weekend warriors' abound -trying to impress girlfriends etc.etc.etc..
    There's a different mindset with the commercial guys or serious sportsman--To me- nobody trying to prove anything to anyone. The mindset is kinda like this: never burn any bridges -you never know if you may need that very person when a problem arises 15 miles from the launch...If you frequent spots long enough--you can recognize boats and folks even though you have never met them.Guess it all boils down that's there is a good common respect for each other.

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    thanks for the posts, but i'm not saying not to burn bridges, or not be safe what i am saying that is when i prep my rig i do in a area so not to tie up the launch area as well as tiedown and stow my gear, Maybe it is just me but just because you have a boat on the ramp it does not give you the right to setup house keeping there. There is no need to take any longer than nessary, At some areas i fish and hunt if you are caught not using the prep area and tiedown area it will incurr a hefty fine, my friend next door was in the tie down area stowing there gear and finishing up when they saw the game warden impound a rig for not clearing the ramp and preping on the ramp. Think about it how would like this type of action occure at your launch areas, when the state and local comunities have to take charge in order to perserver order it will happen, so just a little common sense and etiquett can make all the diffrence.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Whopping someone in the head with a 4x2 is sometimes the only way to get thier attention.:roll_eyes:

Impounding vehicles works for me.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i feel the same about the getting ready and packing up thing. move out of the way for other folks! i see my dad getting older now and hes slowing down at launching the boat. things he use to do with ease he struggles at now. like backing the boat in. i find myself laughing at him but i shouldnt do that because my day will come too. we need to use patience because we all work at differnet speeds and we dont all think the same. with this said there are some folks i just dont understand. pull up, block the ramp and load the kictchen sink, shower, gas tanks, coolers, anchors,tvs, and every other thing they own in a 30ft pontoon. there is alway 5-6 folks in the boat and only one of them is loading the boat while the others are standing around talking and taking pictures.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

Most of the ramps I use have areas for reading your rig before the ramp and after so as not to take up the ramp.

11. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    i one day who thought the ram must be his personal ramp. he back his boat in and was just running the motor and not ding any thing for about twenty minuets al the while i was going in circles waiting for him t clear. finally someone else come on and forced his way in. when the other guy cleared so did the other boater. anothing i hate is when some people fish across the ramp. i went to a public ramp and can back arund midde night and when i got close to the ramp i notice sme people fish around the ramp. when i got to the ramp i notice they had some line going across the ramp. what a dump as*. i pulled in and waited for some one to say somthing. they didn't and loaded my boat and got out of there shacking my head. :0a23:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The sad part is that some people don't care and never intend to be curterous.On the way to a ramp, on a well traveled highway, I came upon a long line of cars stopped behind a man pulling a boat. I could not see what was going on with this rig. The traffic started moving on to the boat ramp. When I arrived I asked the man what type of trouble did he have. He sated" I remembered I had forgot to check the oil this morning":crazy:

13. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I completely understand what you all mean about preparing your boat and being out the way and etc etc...but to me nothing is more frustrating than when you have a small ramp out in the middle of nowhere in a small gravel parking lot where it is first come first serve parking and if you arent the first one there to "show the way" on how to park at a boat ramp you can walk into a real disaster. YOu know what I mean where the classic lazy fisherman leaves his truck and trailer parked directly in front of the ramp only a few feet off of the ramp not allowing anybody any room to use the ramp without jack-knifing the trailer at a 90 degree angle to get it down the ramp. Or when you come back to the ramp after being on the water only to realize that 4 more trailers have shown up and decided to park in all different directions leaving you know choice other than going off-road or manuevering a 50 point turn to get your trailer out of there. It is stuff like that really irritates me.

14. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Some people just don't have a clue, They might be 10 boats waiting to take out and one dummy stops on the ramp to tie down, wipe down, and who knows what else. I'm like some of you folks, I go by myself a lot and I can load or unload my boat and get out of the way quick. Its probably the same type of people that would see you catch a fish and pull over in front of you and start fishing. They're never going to change because they don't think they're doing anything wrong.

15. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    It's not their fault; it's a disease, the dreaded "IMTHEONLYONEONTHEPLANET Syndrome". They don't mean to be idiots or a$$holes, they simply don't realize what they are doing.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    And you know what? They breed.

How many times you ever been unlucky enough to get stuck behind a school bus? They make a stop and the youngin takes his sweet little precious time walking 30 yards to the bus.
    You can bet that youngin's daddy goes fishing.

17. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Where i drop in is a very busy ramp u get in and out when in a bass tourney if u jacknife goin down the ramp about 400 people will start screaming at u lmao its stressfull ive heard every kinda obsenity u can imagaine at the tourney 's when guys are waiting to get in the water its fun just to watch 300 boats back in and see who messes up and listen to what the anglers scream.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    you couldnt pay me to go to a public boat ramp during the day on a weekend or holiday. Most of the idiots are afraid of the dark. I slide on in about the time they are pulling into McDonalds:big_smile:
    If I want to fish during the day I'll take a day off work and hit it mid week.

I've found that on some of these lakes it will take till about Tuesday or Wednesday for the fish to get dried out good and responsive from all that bath tub action on the wekend.

I remember fishing Shearon Harris Lake and seeing one or two other boats all day if I was lucky.
    When they started financing a 15,000 dollar boat for 10 years this is what we wind up with.
    With today's financing if you got a job you can afford the payments. you might pay for the boat 15 times in 10 years but you got one sitting in the driveway.

19. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Mark I'm with you..... I have my boat set up to launch by my self... I avoid the BS at the ramp the best that I can... mid week... early in the am or after dark... cross wind... tail wind... I dont need the dock to put it in or out..... I dont mind getting wet by comming off the front and into the water if I have to .... get in.... get out.... do all the prep stuff away from folks.. "patients at launch ramps is not one of my virtues".....

bayrunner ray

20. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Mark & Jay, I'm with both of you, I prefer to go late @ night or during the week & avoid the BS.

Around here, if the people have a bigger boat, they automatically think that they are better than you:sad2:

Common courtesy isn't common:eek:oooh: