Boat Ramp below Oologah

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by ronlyn239, Aug 13, 2008.

1. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Anyone know if there is a boat ramp below Oologah that is suitable for a 20' by 96" wide aluminum boat? With this water rise after the last rain, they should be increasing the release quite a bit. Never been there, but I only live 40 miles from it.

2. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    There is a ramp right below the dam. Turn off the highway at the dam and cross over to the opposite side of the dam. Its at the end of the parking area. Don't know if it would suit you or not. Just have to look at it. I see other people using it frequently.

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have used the ramp, havent been there in a few years. It is accessible. If they arent running water there is a pretty good hole down by the bridge.

Beware and try and stay in the middle of the channel there are tree stumps along the west side of the bank.

4. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Gary,
    How far down stream is the bridge??

Deano

5. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    We went last weekend, and did pretty well....22 channels and blues from 2 to 7 lbs. The boat ramp itself is a concrete ramp, but the access road to it is an abomination. I would think whoever is responsible for the upkeep of the area could have at least widened and smoothed the road and maybe even graveled it. That being said, we are going again this weekend, and probably will until the water release shuts down.

Oh yeah, the bridge is about a quarter mile downstream of the launch.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Ron, every time there is a high water event that requires high volume releases, everything below a dam gets trashed. Roads, ramps, riprap...it all gets rearranged.

If a few people called the Corps and asked for repairs, it couldn't hurt, and might help.

7. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Yeah, Dave, I agree with you on the below dam conditions, but this road looks as if nothing has ever been done except to push the bigger rocks to the side. It doesn't appear to have ever been graveled, at least there is no trace of gravel, even at the top of the road. Just a narrow road, not much larger than 10' wide, leading to a nice, grooved boat ramp. The ramp itself is excellent, just the road needs attention.

That being said....we are going again tomorrow. lol. The catfishing is too good at this time to stay home. The fingerling shad are in there by the millions, and the fish are just gorging themselves. The people lining the banks are catching a lot, also. We saw several large stringers when people lifted them to put another fish on, or leave. Thanks for your input.....I love it when people care enough to comment.

8. truckguy

truckguy New Member

State:
    Texas
    the road is pretty sorry; but it doesn't bother me to bad in the day, its just at night its terrible to drive down there.
    but the fishing has been EXCELLENT!

9. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Amen, Joey.....it has been lights out for those little shad. Those cats along with sandies and walleyes have been stuffing their guts while the groceries are still abundant. Definitely worth the inconvenience to put the boat in when the fishing is that good.

10. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    They are letting out 2000 more cfs than they were on friday,I'm going to fish from the bank,but if I can keep from hanging on stuff we I should catch a fryer full:big_smile:I'll let you know how it goes.

11. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Just a quick fishing report from Saturday at the Verdigris below Oologah. We caught 30 mostly blues with a few channels, but the real story is that my wife, who weighs about 100 lbs, caught a 16, a 15, a 9 lb, flat, and an 8 while I caught a 10 and an 8. That woman always outfishes me, which is fine, but she brags to all our friends that she outfishes me. I love watching her catch those bigguns. We did, indeed limit out, about 140 lbs or so total. Helps out the freezer stock, for sure.

The ramp is still hard to use, and the access loop to the ramp is under water, which requires backing from the road down the exit access road to the ramp. The waves from that huge water release beat the crap out of us, while we launched and loaded out, and I would really have whined if we had a bad day, but somehow, it doesn't matter. I'd go again in a minute, but I gotta wait until Saturday.

12. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    We caught at least a dozen big drum,but only 2 blues to small to clean:sad2: I can't wait to get a new motor for my boat! I know the cats were there and biting but from the bank we just could't get to them.Still today was better than tomarrow when i'll be at work again.

13. bird-n-buck

bird-n-buck New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Where is the best place to try below the dam. Should you anchor out in the fast water right out from the ramp or go more downstream.

14. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    We did it both ways. Downstream, tied up to trees out from the bank and cast into current. Also caught a lot drifting. Run up to the cable and drift down to the railroad bridge. Shad and Cut Perch are what they're hitting.

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you are fishing from the bank and they are running water, the best place to fish is right up near the chute. I use a break away rig on my weights, you about have to have 8 oz, just to get it down, and hang it right in the swift water. I also like to fish the shoals, down by the far back parking lot, then there on that side there is a feeder creek that runs back on that side and I have caught a lot of good fish in that area.

I have had a lot of good luck in there fishing at night when they are running water hard. At night I like to use those black perch, they will catch 3 times the fish shad will. Dont know why that is, if ya'll are familiar with that area, there is a small pond on the riding trails about 3 miles up from the bait shops. I have caught nothing but black perch in there and it is full of them.

good luck

16. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Are the shad easy to find/net? Thinking about putting in with a boat and wondering about netting some shad for bait.

17. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I really don't know...I brought my shad and perch with me, as I didn't want to take the chance there would be none there. The shad are small....2 to 4 inches, and I saw a lot of people throwing nets. I also saw a lot of small shad flipping along the bank, so I would assume that you should be able to net some. We caught most of ours on perch strips.

18. truckguy

truckguy New Member

State:
    Texas
    the shad are very plentiful down there, which is why i think the catfish are biting so well down there. the longer you let your net sink, the bigger the shad get. i was down there this morning and was letting it sink for a minute and getting 6-8in shad