Boat Radios, to me they are worth it!

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by Gunner-Fisherman, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio

How many people have marine radios in their boat? For years I did not use them although I had CB’s in my trucks… but left the boats alone.

That all changed one night on the Ohio River, we were on the water about 3am in PITCH Black no moon and not many stars shinning through the cloud cover…

I was in a friend’s boat and the motor would not start, just as two barges were coming towards us, one in each direction. We were on the Ohio side of the river only about 20 yards from the shore right on a big turn in the river.

The barge coming south was way too far over on our site. In fact I could almost touch the empty barge with my rods… John got on the marine radio and yelled for the barge pilot to stop we were there broke down almost in his direct path...

He was taking the turn to wide as he did run aground with the front barges on the right side… I am a true believer that if we had not had the radio to contact him I would not be here right now writing this…

Since then both my boats have radios mounted and always on while on the water… Which is turn has helped out when we are out with a bunch of boaters as a group, there are channels open to the public and we can keep in touch letting each other know what is working or not working and what to watch for…

2. Gunner-Fisherman

State:
    Ohio
    You are welcome for the thanks...

I have made it a point in all my seminars now to promote marine radios, I am sponsored by Cobra, but I know some can't afford high dollar radios, bo I say to everyone, get the BEST you can afford...

Then I ask this, how much is your life worth? Do you really want to get the cheapest?

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Man, I didnt even know barges could stop that fast..That would be scary

4. Gunner-Fisherman

State:
    Ohio
    Had a lot to do with him running aground some... I know that helped..!
    Heard his motors go full tilt in reverse... after it was said and done some BIG waves come by...

Tip... an empty barge and stop a lot faster then a full one...

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I wouldn't be w/o one, as a matter of fact, I even keep a hand held unit as a back-up just in case.

The dash mounted unit I have will send out my GPS coordinates, to the coast guard & a marine towing service as well, if I hit the distress button.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have marine radio's on all of my boats, its too dangerous to go out on the Ohio river without one even during the day let alone at night. Those barges can slip right up on you and at night sometimes all you hear is a rippling sound of water in front of the tow. There are quite a few people killed each year in boating accidents involving barges throughout the navigation system. There was five that I know of in 2006 right here on the Ohio river along the tri-state of KY, OH & WV.

7. Gunner-Fisherman

State:
    Ohio
    That is true... Most people do not understand just how fat the barges can get on you...

There is an old saying for the lights on the front of the barges..

This is how you are supposed to turn if they are on you...

Right of Red
    Left of green
    See all yellow and bam your dead...

But still the river is one of the best places to catch big flatheads!!!

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I don't fish where they are all that useful. No barges or ships to miss, and I am quick drift from the bank if I break down. I also carry a cell phone in case I need to call someone.

With all that said, I own and carry a handheld Uniden. There are not that many people with them, but during the busy times of the year I can always reach a DNR boat or police boat on my home lake. They also come in handy on the busier lakes like Santee-Cooper.

The other good thing is that I can pull up NOAA weather radio to stay up on the weather.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its an additional form of communication and it is monitored.
    There are Coast Guard auxillary flotillas all over the United States, along with local wildlife enforcement as Dieter commented.

They are real nice if you ever need one and they aren't that expensive.
    The regs and restrictions on these radios has been loosened over the years to promote their usage.

10. Gunner-Fisherman

State:
    Ohio
    You are right if you need one it is worth it weight in gold…

Mine also have the distress button to send out GPS placement and a MOB button… man over board… Instant weather channels and if a weather warning is sent out it automatically turns on and plays the warning..

Well worth the money spent on any boat

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Just having the NOAA WX channels is reason enough to have one, even if there isn't a towboat w/in 500 miles.

12. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Marine radios will work where cell phone don't, another plus for em.