Boat question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by tigdewalt, Jun 21, 2008.

1. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    I am getting ready to buy a boat and have a question. first I will be fishing mainly ky river and creeks off it. should I get a v-bottom or flat bottom or does it matter my though is flat bottom would do better if I hit a log
    (maybe not), but I recently found this link and have got the fever bad. The kids are raised so I want to chase some cat. I've never fished for flats or blues but thanks to all of you here I'm sure I'm an expert at hooking them. LOL any opinion on this subject is much appreciated.

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Depending on the size of the river and creeks you are going to fish its a hard question... If its a big desent river I would go with a V-Bottom but I have a small river where I live and it is really shallow in some places so I would rather have a flat bottom due to that.. I could run in shallower water if needed.. I would go to a local bait store and ask some of the locals whats best to run on your rivers

3. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been on the Kentucky River a few times. Bigger is better for standing up and moving around and having plenty of room to stretch out. I have a 16ft Polar Kraft semi-v duck boat that really works great for me. I would say it is a perfect size boat for the Kentucky river. You could easily navigate the river and still be able to move a little ways up some of the small feeder creeks. At 16 ft long it is still light and easy to trailer and launch. Of course you could easily go alot bigger on the Kentucky, and you could also go smaller.

I would not want to hit a log with a flat bottom or a v bottom. Either way would suck. I usually take things really slow until I learn an area.

May I suggest shopping around and buying something used. You can get a decent used boat at a good price and try it out. If it does not suit your needs you can easily sell it and hopefully get about what you paid for it.

4. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I would say depending on the depth of your creeks; you can go really shallow with either. I have a 17' center console Sea Fox and I have been in water less than 1' with no issues. I know it's not much advice but depending on the size of the boat you get will determine how deep in the water it sits and to me that should be your bigger concern than v or flat bottom.

5. tailfin

tailfin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    tigdewalt being from ky. myself i do agree that you need to try the boat out first i have a 14 ft. v and wish i had a flat bottom because everytime you move it rocks the stupid thing and i dont belive that hitting a log is a good ideal i know sometimes you cant help it :big_smile:

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    get a semi v . It's more stable in the rivers than a jon and flatter than a v for shallow waters too.

7. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    what size and brand of motor do you all suggest I know brand may start a riot so sorry

8. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The size of your boat will dictate the size of your motor, right? As far as brand goes, I cannot say there is any brand I would specifically shy away from. If you are going used, the main thing is to know that the motor was well maintained. Make sure the gas smells good and fresh. I always put a new water pump in any used motor I buy. Take it for a test drive if you can.

One other thing to think of in regards to brand is the availability of a quality dealer/repair/parts shop. That might be a tall order in Kentucky. I can't say as I have been super happy with the Mercury and Yamaha shops I have dealt with thus far. I end up getting the manuals and ordering all of my stuff on line. Some of the on-line guys are alot more helpful and competent than the local shops.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'd look at a 14 to 16 foot modified V jon boat, with a floor of 48" wide. The smaller boats like this are very stable if you want to stand up once in a while, but not so big that you cant get into the shallows or up those narrow creeks (or squeeze between obstacles like trees etc.) They's still big enough that if you pick and choose your days you can go onto big rivers. The modified V rides a little bit better, but probably only sacrifices an inch or two of draft, so you can still get to those shallow places. I'd power it with the biggest motor it is rated for because it will plane easily and you can run it with less throttle and stay on plane. This a lot of times makes the boat more efficient to run because the bigger motor doesn't have to work as hard (you dont hafta run it wide open throttle all the time) to keep the boat planed out. I tell you all this out of experience. I've got a 1448 jon boat and its small enough to get into all those little potholes duck hunting, but just this weekend I was out on a big river with the 50 foot workboats passing by. My 25hp motors planes the boat out at about half throttle and i rarely run it full throttle.

10. slippedcork

slippedcork New Member

State:
    Marion Co Kentucky
    I have a 16/48 big john with a 25hp mercury.The boat is very stable for trotlining and work's well in big water also.Personally I dont like the small v bottom's but the bigger one's are nice.

11. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think my setup is identical accept I have a Polar Craft semi V. I have had it on the Ohio many times. It would be just fine on the Kentucky River.