Boat question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Bill in SC, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have an old abandoned 18 foot bass boat that was given to me. At a glance it looks rough, but actually the hull is immaculate. I was thinking about cutting the console out of it and setting it up for catfishin'. I am thinking of converting it into a simple floating "platform". With the state of the economy and fuel prices such as they are, I don't want to run a large engine. I want to set the boat up with a tiller handle engine. Is there any way a 25hp would plane this boat out? The boat does NOT seem overly heavy, and the removal of the console would lighten it some. I'm not interested in speed, but I certainly would want the boat to plane out. I know a 25 pushes my 16 foot skiff real well.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No one have any ideas if this boat would plane out with a 25?
    BB in SC

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Perhaps the most famous words in boating other than "its 2 feet to short" are "I'm not interested in speed":big_smile::roll_eyes::crazy:A 25 probably wont plane you out if the hull is fiberglass.Keep in mind the most economical engine might not be the smallest you can get by with.A 75 running at midrange rpms might be more economical than a 25 straining at max rpms to get you there.The way bass boats are designed to run on a very small "Pad" at the rear might not support tiller handle operation very well and cause you more fuel consumption.By all means rig it for catfishing :big_smile:but leave it as is unless you just have to have the console out.The boat was designed to run most efficiently with the weight load centered not to the rear.Just my observations not necessarily gospel by any means.

4. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks like there is 14 or 15 ft of boat in the water but I think it would but its you and the motor to figure that out. Are you going to add any weight to it. I think itwill plane out. thanks Sam Davis

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    See that dark grey top cap?
    I bet you'll find a good 200 pounds of fiberglass, resin, and scrap plywood in it. If not more.:big_smile:

I cut up a 16' bass boat and shoved it in the woods.
    The top cap on it I guarantee was 300 pounds if it was a pound.
    That boat always was a dog. I know why now.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks folks. If I have to, I guess I could run a 40 tiller handle on it. I too think it would plane out with a 25, but as stated in Jim's post, it won't be that fuel efficient if you have to run it wide open to plane it out. Once again, this will just be a river boat and the Big Pee Dee is rough on equipment, so... with a free boat and trailer, and if I can find a decent used 40, I'll probably be OK, without have to go through a lot of expense. Weight distribution is not problem as that is easy to counter. I basically just want a stable floating platform, and if I can get it to plane out and run 25 mph, I'll be happy. My 16 foot skiff will run 30+ mph. Why do I want to do this anyhow? My 16 foot skiff is "two feet too short"! :) Posted here just to see if anyone had ever done anything like this before. I do see some serious homemade abominations from time to time. many turn out slick as snot on a doorknob. Also, I'd hate to go through all the trouble and expense rigging something up, and it NOT work at all.
    BB in SC
    BTW: The boat does NOT seem overly heavy as it sits.