Boat question

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by BigDuck, Jul 14, 2006.

1. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    My boat has been kept in a boat house on a local river, well there is that brown ring around the bottom where the water level was. I took her to the car wash and it looks like a sort of scale action has formed and ate the paint and sort of pitted the alum. Have you guys ever experenced this sort of thing and whats the cure. I'm thinking sand blasting and repaint may be the only way:sad2:

2. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Go to Dollar General and buy a bathroom cleaner called "The Works". Use it on that scale buildup.

3. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Thanks Matt, I'll try anything!:0a31:

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

CLR is a good product i don't know about using it on aluminium though. Steel wool will work also but you will be painting after that.

5. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    there is a product i like called allumni-bright ive seen it take off some pretty nasty stuff on alluminum. good luck

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    scrape and scrape and steel wool......I just took mine out of the water and will no longer keep my boat in the marina.

7. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    On the Alumibrite you better read the ingredients and with the CLR. Some of those cleaners work well but contain Acid which will keep eating into the aluminium if not rinsed really good. I'd recommend hand washing afterwards to stop the reaction if you do use it.

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    toon-bright will clean all the junk off aluminum. If you have some trouble spots (hard to clean) use the toon-bright straight ( do not delute) but reince with water hose theraly after 15 to 20 seconds tops. any liquad aluminum cleaner you get from a boat dealer ( toon-bright , alum-bright, and what ever all the other name brands are) They are all high in acid desind to pull the impurities out of aluminum and they all work well. But again it is important to reince good with water hose in a timely manner when useing.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Soap (Alkyli) neutralizes acid. Use plenty of soap with your water.

10. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Have used something called Krud Cutter on fiberglass and aluminum that works well if you brush it hard and allow it to soak. Came from Lowes I think and not too expensive.