Boat Question (Lower Gear Drive)

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by kennethu, Jan 20, 2010.

1. kennethu

kennethu New Member

State:
    sc
    Has anyone ever experienced this, at half throttle and above evry now and then it sounds like you hit something momentarily and sometimes it knocks out of gear but if you stay under half throttle its fine but like i say sometimes its fine and like today as soon as I get up to speed it would do it and i could back off and then its fine ? Gonna take foot apart tomorrow but a friend of mine said there was something called a dog slider and that was probably the problem motor is a 1979 johnson sea horse 35 hp. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

2. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    pull foot apart and see if the ramps on the clutch dog are worn,if gears look good you may be able to find the clutch dog online.good luck 864-979-9542 if you get stumped and need advise give me a call mark

3. kennethu

kennethu New Member

State:
    sc
    Cutbait , man i really appreciate the info if i run into trouble ill give ya a call

4. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    mine has been doin the exact same thing when im on wateree and i think it is actually dragging something. it only does it when i see trash around me on top of the water

5. kennethu

kennethu New Member

State:
    sc
    Yeah I have only noticed it at wateree also, but I really feel like the ears are rounded on that slider thing because i noticed it in 15 to 25 ft, and its also started to do it pretty regularly by the end of the day when i would throttle it up, also i put a new cable on it and had a time getting it adjusted ? I just find it hard to believe that there is so much junk in the water because i try to stay in river channel as much as i can and i was always pretty deep when I throttle up ? It would make a loud noise and sometimes it would come out of gear other times not. I dont know if i can wait till tomorrow or not i am bout to die to figure this out?:dont-know::dont-know: