Boat question - Is it too early to have out?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by mr channel, Mar 27, 2006.

1. mr channel

mr channel New Member

State:
    sharpsville/kokomo Indiana
    Is it to early to get the boat out,, im not worried about the day temps but at night is still in the 20's is it to early,,and also does anyone know how to disconnect the tiller arm on an older johnson??

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    man iv had my boat out since january! its not cold enough to worry about channel.

the arm is held on with a large bolt. just look under were it conects to the motor.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been fishing all this month. I leave my motor in the down postion when I get home so the water drains out.
    Bill

4. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    It's great in TX, I keep my boat ready to go ALL YEAR ROUND... Arent yall jealous..:cool:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Fished all winter so I wouldn't know. I agree on putting the motor down when I get home to let water drain. You'll be surprised at the amount of water that comes out.

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Yes, we are all jealous!! I'll be moving that way in the next 5-7 years, just got to get the kids though school.

7. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    MY boat sits on the side of the house all winter. I just uncovered her last weekend and replaced the transducer and power cable, checked her out and relined the poles. I'm so ready to run.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I bought my boat in August and I've had it out almost every week since then. When I get bcak from fishing I plug in the onboard charger and tilt the motor down so all the water is out and dont freeze.

9. mjokerr

mjokerr New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Its never to cold to go out fishing!!!I live in SC so the winter isnt really winter,some days it gets pretty cold but 95 percent of the time its fishing time.:)

10. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I'll put it this way mr channel....if you have a outboard like most fishing boats then no it isn't too cold. But some people have boats they fish with that have inboards. If it is an inboard i wouldn't unwinterize it until there isn't a chance of it getting cold enough to freeze. That's my thoughts on the issue.

11. mr channel

mr channel New Member

State:
    sharpsville/kokomo Indiana
    thanks for the info its goin out sunday thanks everyone and good luck bro,s

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Now here is a sad story for you... I recollect going fishing on the Chicahominy River in January and February. Daytime highs were around 17 degrees. We had to throw the anchor in front of the boat to break ice to a channel about 300 yards from shore. Once we got there we could run about 1/2 mile to where we fished for crappie in 12 to 14 feet of water... You may ask what is so sad about that...Well, I'll tell you....that 17 degrees did not effect the boat one little bit, but I froze my a.. off.

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Get the boat out who put it away we are cat men here we fish all year long

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    A Pollock went ice fishing but by the time he had a hole chopped out big enough for his boat he was to tired to fish.

Just

15. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    A Pollock went ice fishing but by the time he had a hole chopped out big enough for his boat he was to tired to fish.

Just tip the motor down to drain so it won't freeze and bust anything.