Boat Question For Those Tournament Catfisherman!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Blade4130, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Hey guys, I have been looking on-line and just beginning my search for a boat this winter or by early spring. My plan will be to enter a comp or two for fun after I get some time on the river next year. My question to you competitors is "would a 50 horse engine be sufficient enough on a new boat?" My price range that I am looking for on a new boat would be 10 to 15 grand. I will also be looking at used boats as well. As far as a new boat and river would a deep v aluminum be ok or should it be flat bottom? Bass Tracker has a pro crappie edition that I really like, but the livewells aren't that big. Still, I can easilly make the front livewell much bigger. I like the layout of the boat as it would be great for crappie fishing, comfy for snagging and great for catfishing. Lowe has one almost like it that would work perfect for me as well. Anyway, I am just curious on what kind of horsepower I would need.

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    whatever you do go with a four stroke motor and iif you want iam selling a 20 ft aluma craft

3. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I am not ready to buy anything until after my knee surgury. Right now I am getting idea's and ways that I want to go on a boat to fill all my needs. If you have that boat around December I will surely be interested in taking a look at it.

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I think a 50 hp motor would be just fine for the two boats you mentioned!:wink: I personally prefer a DEEP-V. There are plenty of them on the market that are set up REEL nice for catfishing out of the back of them. Starcraft, Monark, Lowe and Tracker to name a few in the price range stated above. I have a Lund that I really like, a bit more pricey though. Good luck in your quest!

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I agree, I love my jon boat but in rough water it is a back jarring ride:crazy: At the very least get a semi-V

6. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    What ever you do don't under horse the boat. Spend the extra to get the max horse power the boat will allow. Driving the boat with max horse power at 3/4 throttle will burn less gas than a smaller motor at full throttle. The boat will also perform much better.

7. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you are only going to fish rivers I think a flatbottom is the way to go. You do get more bounce on choppy water but you can also run up on sandbars and even dykes much easier and also pull you boat up mud flats and such. I have a 40 horse Yamaha and honestly I don't push it much because I don't like going too fast with the Asian Carp threat. I can't imagine going 50mph and getting hit with one. If you want a all around boat a semi V is nice. If you have a person who can do some welding for you I'd look at buying a used boat with the right floorplan. Also, don't discount a 2 stroke, while they may smoke a little they also have some advantages and can be had for a better price. If I ever upgrade my boat it will have much bigger livewell and seperate baitwell, top notch sonar, a nice bimini top for hot days and comfy seats. Sacrificing 10hp on the motor would probably buy all these. Of course guys with no budget will and should go for it all, but you said you did have a limit. Good luck and take you time. Oh yeah, if used make sure the trailer and wheel bearings are in good shape and has full sized wheels.

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You might consider looking at the Sea Ark 20 footer. An 80 will push it just fine doing about 33 even with your various live wells full of fish and water. Plenty of room in it to walk around and carry the extra livewell that you can take in and out for tournament fishing. Get what you feel safe in on these bigger rivers. There are several different hulls that you can choose from also. River Rat has a really nice one like it.

9. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I have a 16 ft deep v with a 50hp, it's fine on the river, I can go 25 mph upstream. I have fished tourneys in my 16 ft jon with an old 20 hp too. Fishing the Missouri river in a deep v is fine, but if you are ever going to fish smaller rivers you should go flat bottom. If you are a lake fisherman at all you should go deep v for sure. I have read alot of bad things on here about trackers welds breaking, the pro crappie you talk about is a pretty little boat, but, IMHO I would consider a Lowe, they have the same style boats at the same prices, again, just my opinion. I bought my boat used from craigslist, 5500, blue booked at 9000. Good luck.

10. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Don I would go with a Lowe also. I think they are a better boat than tracker. I have a 40 hp merc on my 16 ft olympic jon and up stream on the mo river by my gps I am running 28 mph. Just be sure to check out all your options and do your home work before you buy anything. Make sure it is what you want with spending this kind of money.

Tom

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I had a 18' lowe with a 50hp on it. It ran the missouri river as good as any other boat out there.

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Sea Ark makes a good boat and have semi v's in a crappie style boat. You to give them a good look.

13. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I have a 20' flat bottom with a 70 hp on the back and it does wonderful out on the mighty mo.