Boat question and intro

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by MikeS63301, Apr 29, 2009.

1. MikeS63301

MikeS63301 New Member

State:
    St Charles, Mo
    Hey Guys! My name is Mike. I'm from St Charles. I took a couple years off from fishing because of work, now I'm back at it better than ever. Been buying some new fishing gear and thinking about another boat.

Any of you guys fish from a pontoon boat? I've been looking at pontoons some. My wife would rather me get a bigger boat that we could use as a party barge on some occasions. (well we don't really party too much in our mid 40s, but you get the idea) Just kind of wondering how they do as fishing rigs on the big rivers. I like to fish the Miss, and Mo rivers. The only other boats I've owned were smaller (16') modified Vs. I'd like something with more room I think.

I'll be buying used for sure.

Good points? Bad points?

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad to be a part of this forum. I've learned a heck of a lot already in a couple weeks.

Mike

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have seen quite a few pontoons on the Missouri river. I would think it would be hard to get an anchor to hold in the current. But if you could get that to work there is no reason you couldnt fish from a pontoon. Freespool is a member and he has a pontoon. He will be around sooner or later ask him. Welcome to the BOC

3. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    pontoons seem to me to be a bit dificult to manuever, if you were wanting something like that i would look at a deck boat, its like a wide john boat bottom with a large roomy deck on top, kinda looks like a pontoon, but its not. and seems to be more easily driven in tight spots. as i watched several bass fisherman run them all around one of the stumpy areas of mark twain
    WELCOME !!

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Welcome to the BOC! My uncle owns a pontoon and he complains about loading them on the trailer on lakes, so they might be pretty tough loading on river ramps. I would go look at the ramp you plan on using the most and see what the current does their. My uncle has a 28' with 115 hp. I think he said it uses 12 gph. Good luck.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. don't know anything about pontoons and rivers. I'm a green horn on rivers myself.

6. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mike, welcome to the BOC from Texas.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. Hope you find the boat that you and your wife both like. Good to see you getting back into fishing.

Tom

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Mike, like Bluejay, i know nothing about toons.

9. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Have a freind with a pontoon ,as long as your anchor is heavy enough it will be a great cat boat on the river I will be looking at pontoons for my next boat,i like the room

10. MikeS63301

MikeS63301 New Member

State:
    St Charles, Mo
    Thanks, I'll look into them a little more. A buddy of mine had one and it was REALLY expensive to operate. Maybe there's a cheaper way. I'll check 'em out though.

Also, thanks for the heads up on my avatar. I'll put something else on there later.

11. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Welcome to the BOC Mike

12. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome Mike to the BOC… I know a legendary catman named Dick Gephart that lives up the Missouri in the Glasgow area who traded in a 25 ft sea ark for a 25 ft pontoon… He had a guide service and it worked great for him… any large boat can be a rascal when trying to place them on the trailer in currant, they all are tossed about by the wind but a toon is more susceptible to the wind factor… have a friend who has a large enclosure around his sea ark and now wants to get rid of it after the wind factor had him doing battle with trying to place it on the trailer at the ramp… Those are the tradeoffs of having more room… I personally would do a toon any day for family time but would be very selective of ramps and watch wind conditions.

13. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    as stated the room is great, but use alot of fuel,slow, and three times the pain in the ass to load. if you get the pontoon its better to have a slip to keep it in