Boat PVC Holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by sds888, Dec 14, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I just got a boat and dont want to drill holes in it yet. I am looking for ideas to use pvc attached to seat poles thanks.
    Stephen

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Stephan,
    What kind of boat did you get? I have a pontoon and have used PVC holders for a few years. Mine were bolted in, then with a 45 bend, attached a short piece which held the rod.. They worked well, but looked pretty ghetto. Also, when you get a bite, you must slide the rod forward to get it out. This takes the pressure off the fish and sometimes causes them to drop the bait. I feel like I have lost many fish because of it..

* I just got a set of drift master type holders from E-bay. I will need to tap two holes for the mount, but it should look good and enable me to set the hook while still in the holder.
    ~A

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I wanted to attach pole holders to my aluminium semi-deep vee, and like you, I didn't want holes all over the place. I took a 1" X 6" X 8' piece of treated lumber and fastened the pole holders in it. Then I used "J" bolts to fasten the board to the edge of the seats. It's removeble and "look mom", no holes. LOL

4. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the library on here has some great ideas for pole holders check it out..

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    thanks it is a g3 1760 I am going to buy some pvc tomorrow or saturday and see what I can come up with I see the problem with lifting the poles out This seems it is going to take some engineering nd tinkering well this is a good time of the year to start a project. Any other suggestions would be helpful. thanks
    stephen

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Go ahead and put some holes in it if your serious about catfishing. I had the same thought and didn't care for the holes either when i bought my boat, after fishing with some quality rodholders the holes make it well worth it as the holders will make it so much more nice and relaxing.........

7. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    The "wrong" rod holders and set-up can limit how you can fish effectively and as AZflats said, catching fish. Gonna depend alot on where and how you plan on doing most of your fishing, but by all means I'd recommend never scarificing:
    comfor/ease of use (fishing all day, moving around the boat)
    quick hook set/getting pole in your hands
    sturdy
    will "hold" the rod when/if tight lining

Holes in boat is a small price to pay, IMO.

8. Shep

Shep New Member

State:
    Lamar Arkansas
    Check out the Driftters PVC holders in the fourm. I just yesterday made some and put them on my boat they are a fast and easy solution

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
  11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    James, for the one I made I purchased pvc schedule 40 socket fittings:

4 ea. 1-1/2" wyes
    4 ea. 1-1/2" tees
    4 ea. 1-1/2" 90 deg. elbows
    2 ea. 1-1/2" x 1" bushings to reduce down for insertion into my existing rod holders
    10' of 1-1/2" schedule 40 pvc pipe
    4' of 1" schedule 40 pvc pipe
    primer/cleaner
    pvc cement

The amounts can be adjusted to suit your boat if you decide to go this route. If you look closely at the pics in that link you'll see where I cut out part of the 'wyes' so that when the rod is in the holder I can pick it up and set the hook in one motion. The two outer holders are angled out away from the boat. I would check those angles in place before gluing into position. I measured (carefully, don't forget to allow for 3/4" on the end of each piece of pipe to go into the fittings :wink: ) and cut everything and assembled all but the wyes on a flat work surface, then positioned and glued the wyes in place inside the boat.
    The 1" pipe that goes into my existing rod holder fits loose, and 1-1/4" is too big, so I cut some small sections from larger pipe and glued to the outside of the 1" on one side to prevent movement. This made the whole thing very solid.
    If you do this, I think you'll find it to work real good, especially for fishing in current. I only wish I had angled the two outer holders a little more away from the boat.

12. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    thanks black water they ought to put that in the library. I went and bought the pvc tonight. I dont already have the rod holders so I cant place the pipe in them. But I have been looking at two options with using the seat poles. I still wasnt sure how to do the rod holder part until I saw you post. Since it is going to be in the 70's tommorrow this will be a good project.
    Stephen

13. jayrbee

jayrbee New Member

State:
    Winter Haven,fl
    progress is coming along nicely on the holders I'm building. I'll post some layout refinements and pictures later this week, on the other thread.

I might be focusing too much on building holders that will pivot up/down and side to side. I just think it gives one more flexibility for placing rods.
    Here's a thought I had on the "Y" holders.
    Instead of gluing could one drill a single hole through the "y" (female)and a series of holes in the pipe ( male) the "y" fits over. Simply rotate the "Y" to the angle one desires and insert a pin, locking the "Y" in place.
    I'm not sure if the female end of the "Y" has enough length to give required ridgity without gluing though. Just a thought someone might try if more pivot is desired.

14. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I just made 6 of the 4" pvc rod holders.
    I read everything you guys said about mounting them and maybe came up with a "better idea".
    My old Polar Craft jon boat has a 7/8 X 2 " inch rail on 3 sides. I found that a top beam clamp , used for hanging plumbing or electrical fixtures from metal ceiling beams, will fit over the rail nicely.They make several sizes of these clamps.
    They will clamp down tightly and have holes already tapped for mounting the rod holder and I don't have to drill holes in my boat.
    This way they are moveable to any place on the front or sides of the boat.

I do like the thought of making them adjustable by cutting a slot.

Now if it were just spring so I can try these things out.

15. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
  16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I think the pin idea would work just fine. I considered it on mine, but if I put a pin through it, I may not be able to stand the rod vertically, which I do when traveling on the water. The pvc fittings usually fit really snug, and I think it would take quite a bit of pulling on a rod to dislodge one. Try putting one of the fittings on a short piece of pipe and you'll see what I'm saying.