Boat progress update

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Been workin' the last couple of days on the boat, getting it like we want it. I tore out ALL that old red astroturf, as it seemed to stay wet all the time. We built doors under the bow for a storage area. Chris rigged up a spare gas container that mounts on the outside of the rear of the boat, to free up floor space. Got the paddle and net mounted inside the gunwales, and out of the way. The boat is pretty much WIDE OPEN now. Look forward to it's first tourney this weekend with the peedeecatmasters. About the only thing left to do in the boat is to switch out engines when I get the 200 sold, rig up some rod storage racks, and make the enclosure for sleepin'. Eventually will have to get my portable live catfish tank done for tournaments.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    doors pic
    BTW: the pic of the exterior gas can mount is just rigged with a zip tie. Still undecided as to whether I will mount one there. Sure as heck, as soon as I do, a big 'un will take the rod right right into it, so I'm still pondering that. space is at a premium in boats, and we are trying to figure out some alternate ways to utilize more space. We're just playing with ideas. We discussed buying up cheap boats, and "flipping" them like those "Flip this House" programs. If the economy was strong, it might be a good business to buy boats and outfit them for catfishermen that can't do the work themselves, and don't want to spend a gazillion bucks on a new boat.
    BB in SC

Attached Files:

3. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Looking good Bill!
    What I did to keep from tripping on my net on my boat was to get a scrap piece of 3 inch PVC and drill a hole in the side and bolted it to the side of my boat standing upright. Easy pick up for the net and stays outta tha way...

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good idea, Jonathan! We looked at a heap of options on it, but placed it there for now. As soon as i get a bigger net, it will probably be placed elsewhere. BTW: We also got the fire extinguisher, bait knife, and machete mounted to the console.
    Bill in SC

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bill what kind of livewell you designing? I took and old alum truck box and weldeld some supports inside to keep it from bowing out on the sides and put some baffles inside to help with the splashing out of water. I can circulate the water through a spray bar or I can pump fresh water through it all the time, enen put a tube so I can pump the water out when done. it is very light and I am thinking about putting a cushion seat along the top to sleep on. I will try to get you a pic of it soon.

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    What kind of boat is that bill?

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ronald, I will be using a live well like peglegreb made. It's a 30 gallon plastic drum. It pulls water from the river with a bilge pump, and has an overflow hose that puts water back into the river. Pretty slick setup, and doesn't take up much space.
    Robert, It's a 20 foot center console Ski Barge from Arkansas. 6 1/2 foot floor width. I really like these big wide boats! Here's a pic of it right after we started working on it. Heck, there's the bait tank in the pic too. :)
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

8. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Are you gonna call it the "RedBird" to spite Sunbird?
    LOL...
    Just joking. From the pictures I've seen so far, I like it.:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    will that tank be for bait or keeping fish alive? or both? looks like whatever you put on that boat you will still have more space to do more with.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Are you gonna call it the "RedBird" to spite Sunbird?>

LOL! No it is the Pee Dee Explorer III, aka 'Big Red Blunt'. :smile2: (although I do have a redbird tattoo) :)

Ronald, that's just the live bait tank. I am gonna make a huge portable live tank to use only during tournaments. It will be situated parallel and in front of the console.

Bill in SC

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I like all that floor room:wink:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < I like all that floor room:wink:>

Yessir, that was my reason for seeking out this boat. I am going to make a portable enclosure for the front half of the boat to stay out of the weather in, and to sleep in. I have a pretty good design in mind, made out of one inch PVC. BTW, I have two seats that fit on the bow, facing rearward. With those seats, the console seat, and the captain's seat, it will fish four very comfortably.
    Bill in SC

13. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I know a lady who makes enclosures. She is also a guide on Lake Marion. If you want her information, I can get her # for you.
    Jonathan

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I appreciate it, Jonathan, but you know us rednecks gotta make our own personalized redneck enclosure for the boat!!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2: Might even end up with a stove pipe comin' out of the top!! :) :) :)

Bill in SC

15. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    What you gonna be burnin' up under that there enclosure, friend? :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Littla dis and littla dat!! :wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC

17. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Looks like you have your hands full building a cat boat, I know its a lot of fun. Did you use it in the tournament? I know you will enjoy it once it is finished

18. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I thought big red was pretty cool listening to her thumping along out there in the river with that monster motor.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Did you use it in the tournament?>

Yessir, The Big Red Blunt performed flawlessly! :cool2:

< I thought big red was pretty cool listening to her thumping along out there in the river with that monster motor.>

She does run GOOD! Those big Mercs have a distinct howl! I guess I will keep that engine after all. If the river gets too low to take a chance with her, I'll just run my Carolina Skiff with the 25 Tohatsu. It's nice to be versatile! :wink::big_smile::wink:
    BB in SC

20. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    did you get your first big red pull down yet bill? i hope you had a great celebration with the big red blunt......lmao