Boat problems..Maybe

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JoeFriday, Jun 27, 2008.

1. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    I have a question maybe someone can help...About 3 weeks ago i took my boat out on the river and my old lady ran into some rocks while trying to load it on the trailer. It took a nice little chunk out of the prop. I just took it out again this week for the first time since then and when i was running it it wasnt shooting out a steady stream of water like most do. But i cant remember if mine did or not. Not trying to be parinoid, but i just just dont want to get back out on the missouri river and over heat. Its a pretty new boat the engine is a 08 mercery 50 horse. Any one know if it is supposed to shoot water out or not? Thanks alot, i just dont want to call a repair shop because im sure they will tell me i need to bring it in and have it looked at which always seems to add up. Thanks Nick

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If it's a 2008 model, it should be under warranty. Take it to the shop if you're not sure it's working right.

Do you get no water at all or just not a strong steady stream? If there's no water, you've got a serious problem; if there's some water, it could be just the way that particular model works.

What does your owner manual tell you?

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    nick get a thin piece of wire and stick it in the pee hole and make sure its not clogged. My merc stops peeing all the time, it always seems to be a little piece of sand blocking the pee hole.

4. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    Well i went out with a wire and stuck it in the hole..Looks like something may have been in there but ill have to take it out to the lake later to see if that did the trick. Thanks for your guys help.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your saying that you don't flush out the mud and sand when you bring it home?

6. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    you don't have "earmuffs" for it?

7. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Dirt daubers built a nest and stopped mine up and I had used the boat two weeks earlier.
    I had to use a small bream hook to get it going again at the landing.
    LB

8. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had to pull the lower off mine and blow back down the tube towards the pump because the stuff was bigger than the outlet. I'm pretty sure most all should have a steady stream. It's all the water that's supposed to be cooling the engine. I'd check warranty before I touched it. And I'd fix the prop before I take it in.

9. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    I do have ear muffs somewhere..Ill find them tomorow and flush it out, i normaly dont ill have to start...Thanks for the help, thats what it was, i took the hose off and cleaned it out really good and works perfect now...Thanks everyone

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I like a stiff piece of weed eater mono line instead of wire.No chance of damaging anything with a sharp edge or point no matter how far you run it in.Wire cutters often leave a chisel edge on the end of a wire.

The mono can be left in the boat near the motor and will not rust.Handy and always available.Loop and crimp one end with a sleeve.Tie a string on and you won't lose it.This is handy when fishing trashy water.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. MoJon

MoJon New Member

State:
    NoMo
    weedeater line, HUH that sounds like a darn good idear. Great post.

12. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    great idea Pee wee I'll have to get a chunk of weedeater line aboard my boat. Thanks