Boat Problem

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by deepwoods, Jun 29, 2008.

1. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    My two sons and I got up early and made our way over to LKN this morning. Jumped in the boat at 5:20, started it up and the check engine alarm went off. I actually have never heard it before, it was fire alarm loud. The boat was running as normal, I could not figure out what was wrong. We decided not to go out. All I could picture is the boat dieing in the back of the state park at 6:00 in the morning. I was bummed, I guess I am going to pull it out and take over the boat yard. Time to catch up on my yard work. :beat_plaster:

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    is it a 2 cycle with oil injection, if so it may be an oil alarm either it is low or not injecting. If is oil injected you may want drain all the oil and clean out the oil tank and check any filters. I know a person who disable his oil injector and alarm and just mixes his oil and gas. just a thought. Jeff

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    To add to the above, The float for the low oil alarm can get gummed up from the oil and get stuck. I had that problem on my first boat after leaving the engin tilted up for the winter with barely any oil in the tank.

4. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jeff I have a Carolina Skiff also. Mine has a 90 horse Yamaha fourstroke. Every once in a while it will sound that alarm for a few seconds when it first starts. I assume it is due to low oil pressure for that first few seconds. It has always gone off with no following problems or sounding again for the remainder of the trip.

5. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Thanks for the input. IT is a 4 stroke 60 hp Johnson (aka Suzuki). That alarm comes on when the engine fisrt comes on as a short beep. This came on after the boat idled for about 1-2 minutes and the beep lasted about 20 seconds and the the check engine light came on. The light had a pattern of 1 flash a pause and then 3 quick flashes. I bought the engine used in the sping from Chatlee. It only has 46 hours on it but it is still used. I am going to run the boat over to them tomorrow.

6. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    I just got the boat back from Chatlee. New fuel line,the connection at the gas tank was bad, and two fouled pugs. To my amazement they got the boat back to me in 24 hours during the busiest week of the year. They only charged me for parts due to the fact I only bought the boat from them about 5 weeks ago. So I am back on the water tonight. If you are in the market for a boat this is a great place to business.

7. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Where is Chatlee?. I'm from Salisbury and i have a 50 horsepower Force 2 cyl engine i just had the power head gasket replaced. The man's last name is Powell that worked on my motor. He's a private individual and has a reputation for very good work, some friends of mine gave me his name. My boat is an older boat however, so I try to stay away from the dealerships just on the count of outrageous labor rates. Just curious as to where you were located and giving a heads up to anyone around the Salisbury area that this guy is one I would definitely recommend.

8. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
  9. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I appreciate the info on the boat shop.