Boat Pics - Rod Holder Poll?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by SmokinBarrel, Sep 1, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Okay, here is a few pics of the rod holder setups I am considering......

I am going to use Scotty rod holders.... Should I use side or flush mount?

Flush mount - Only problem, I'll be drilling one large hole in the top of the gunnel wall. That makes me nervous, and also will leave a large hole in the top. But, it will look slick all the way around.

Side mount - Not a bad option, but I'll have four smaller holes in the side of the gunnel, and it'll be just as strong or stronger.

Separate Mount - I could build a long spider mount across the back with only two mounting points. Take a long piece of square aluminum and mount at each end, which would minimize holes. Then I mount all my rod holders to the square aluminum. If this setup, I may consider using DriftMaster holders.

Shucks, I forgot to make it a poll.... Anyway, just respond with your recommendation or choice?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    My first choice would be something across the back with rod holders mounted to it. Not trying to discourage you from using the Scotties type rod holder, but again would not be my first choice. Go with the 1/2 inch stem Drift masters and then you can mount star bases up the sides. They are not completely flush mount, but they don't stick up too far and you don't have to drill a big old hole in your boat. Another option is the Monster Rod holders. I have never used them, but have been reading some good reviews on there products. Good Luck with your decision and I'm sure you will get more suggestions coming your way.

Rob

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I like the pic on the left. It appears you have holders going all the way across the back of the boat. That is what I have and I am very happy with it.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Make yourself a rod bar across the back, and install 1/2 inch Driftmaster Pro Duos or Monster dual position holders.

Bill in SC

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I would put the rod across the back with the driftmasters.

Tom

6. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    The more I look at it, I am thinking rod bar across the back too. It is about 50/50 right now. I know a lot of guys on the west coast like the Scotty rod holders and have had no problem with them. Personally, I'd like to do all flush mounts, but I am very nervous about drilling a 5/8 - 3/4" hole in the gunnel! Yikes!

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i'd build a rod rack across the the back... you could always make it removable like alot of them. i made mine last winter wouldn't fish the river any other way:cool2:

8. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Dennis I have tried several ways and the one that currently works well is the rod bar across the back of the boat with the 1/2 driftmasters. At one time I had plastic rod holders and it was a waste of money! I had a friend construct rod bases for the gunnels of my boat and we welded them on. The reason for welding is that we can easily remove them and sand it back down to norm if I sold the boat and the next owner did not want them, I too did not want to drill a big hole or several little holes.Of course it helps that my boat is camo painted so it's easier to paint over the base removal.

Good luck.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I made mine from scrap 1 1/4" stainless tubing. I would NOT drill 5/8 or 3/4 holes in the gunnel.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

10. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I think the scotty flush mount takes a 1&3/8" hole. If you are rich tite lock has some great systems.

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Terry.

12. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i would definately go with the aluminum bar across the back with the rod holders mounted to that, and then mount bases down the sides:wink:

13. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    I would put the bar across the back but I would also turn the corner and run it back towards the bow a couple of feet like a little grab rail. you could have it mounted on some short legs a couple inches long and then have mounting plate to attach it to the top of the gunnel. this would make it look like a little grab rail for the top of the gunnel and if it was done nice and neat it would look just like a factory job..plus give you some thing to hold on to if you where in some rough water....

14. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    this is kind of what I would be looking at..

Attached Files:

15. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I argee with Tom and Bill

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went with a bar across the back of my new seaark, Dennis. However, your Hewescraft is a different style of boat. If it were me I think I would be tempted to go with a flush mount system on that boat. With the high gunwales you have there is no need to raise the elevation of your poles (one of the reasons for a bar) plus the flush mount would just be a lot cleaner looking. I know from talking to you that you plan to use this boat not just for fishing but also entertaining--the flush mounts are less apt to get in the way when not fishing.

PS: If you do decide on a flush mount system don't worry much about the holes. Just be sure and measure carefully. There will be no loss of structural integrity and the flush insert will look great!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  17. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    My opinion is also with the flush mounts. My boat serves several purposes, and although it is technically a bass boat, it's main uses are catfishing and snaggin. My reason for going flush mount is because the less things there are for lines to get caught under while snaggin, the much easier life is. For those in the know, any little bugger sticking up there will grab your line. I also like the looks of a clean surface, can take the holders out and stow them with minimal loss of space, and putt the seat back up for fishing from the rear. Granted mine are not in the gunnel, but the same applies. Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.

18. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    my bar across the back is strong enough to pull a tube or skier with and it is very easy to remove....only 4 bolts so i dont think u have to worry much about holes and everything know matter which way you do it. just take your time and think about the best way you would want it done, and im sure you will come up with something that suits you and your boat.

19. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Dennis I would not recomend a rod rack in your style of boat w/ the high sides I will almost guarantee that you will hate climbing over it all the time especially if you plan on doing most of landing of fish off of the stern of the boat. I'm also not a big fan of round tubing for a rod rack i would use square tube or weld a couple of 90's together. If you do use a rack think about mouting 2" square tube to the back edge of your livewell and then mount the rod holder to it. Take a look at the 1/2" driftmasters (Double Duo & Flatliners) or Monster rod holders. Also take a look at the new Pro Cat that NANNER(Cuz) posted up in the SeaArk boats section you won't need the extended rod holders. Just some ideas?

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    6-8 Driftmaster Pro Duo's, 1/2 inch bases. Get one half of them counter threaded, so that pulling against them only makes them tighter, and DONT LOOK BACK. The flush mount bases will hardly be noticed, and you can just unscrew the holders when your entertaining.

We can take the ProCat from a tournament Catfish battlewagon, to a nice ski/family boat in less than 3 minutes. :wink:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009