Boat paint

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catfishcrazyjr, May 16, 2006.

1. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    has any one in here ever painted a alum. boat? if so can you tell me the best way to do it. and i still dont know what i am going to to on the floor and seats carpet or coating

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I haven't painted one myself...but have seen many. The paint chips off easily. The best thing for an aluminum boat is a wire brush and steel wool. No need to paint it...unless you want to put more into a paint job than what the boat will be worth. lol

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    AwShucks just may be right. The cost is gonna be high. You first have to clean the boat with either vinagor or a product called Aulma prep. It's a two part product. Then ya gotta primer the boat with something like a Dupont product called Coluar (sp). It's an itching primer that will bite into the alum. then ya need a good paint that will hold up to the task. Imron would be the way to go, however, a 2k product like Nason urethane will work also. The rattle can paint will stick for awhile but it will peel off over time. To give ya a real good idea as to a cost of the job done right ya are looking at about $400.00 in products alone. And if ya don't have a way to spray this stuff than ya gotta pay a body shop to do it for ya. Now your really into the big bucks.
    Ya could get by with a good itch primer and than some krylon rattle cans. But ya will be better off to spend the money and do it right the first time.

4. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Or else you can use barn paint and strip it and do it again every couple years.:big_smile:

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Just As T-Bone Stated, The Whole Key To Getting Paint To Stay On Aluminum Is To Have A Base(Primer), That Will Etch The Metal.

There Are Several Manufactures That Make Good Etching Primers. I Wouldn't Try To Paint A Car But Our Little Jon Boat & Swamp Buggy I Have Done & They Came Out Good.

The Paint That I Use Is Made By A Company Called "Petit" & The Color Is Called,"Dead Dull Grass". It Is Very Close To The Green That Lowes Boats Use.

I Just Bought A Cheap Spray Gun From Harbor Freight To Spray It With. If Your Having Any Problems Locating Products Or Need More Technical Advise, Please PM Me As I Have Many Friends In The Buisness.

Have A Good Day & WEAR A RESPIRATOR NOT A FILTER MASK. They Are Cheap @ Home Desperate !! Elliot

6. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    My buddies and I have painted 3 aluminum boats and have had no problems with chipping, fading or the like. The things we did are to take everything off the boat like the motor, old carpet, decals, etc. Then clean the boat all over. Then scuff the whole surface of the boat with a scotch brite pad. Wash the boat again, then prime. Use a self etching primer, it's more than regular primer , but trust me, it's worth it. I primed my whole boat, but the other 2 guys just primed rough spots on their boats. We paint our boats with a gravity fed spray gun. Make sure the air compressor has absolutly no air in the tank before you paint! I bought a gallon of duck boat paint from Marine Warehouse for $35 and a gallon of paint thinner for about $5. I have a 14 foot double wide Landau and we put about 10 coats on it and still had about half a gallon of paint left and my boat looks like it just came out of the showroom! We have had all these boats in the water and no paint problems whatsoever.

7. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I first got my flatbottom it had been sitting out in the weather for several years.
    The paint was peeling (it had some aftermarket paint on it)

i took it to the carwash and blasted what I could off then painted it with brush on, olive drab paint that had on the label that it was for a deer blind.
    It stayed on for several years.

Cheap ... looked close to same color they are when new....not bad.

8. droptines

droptines New Member

have you heard or thought about spray in bed liner?

9. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanx it dont sound so bad now, i think i will give it a soot this weekend and if it dont come out right, its just a catfish boat......

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    May have the solution for ya. I am in the process of making a building to house my boat and am using the metal that is used for roofing houses nowadays except I am using seconds in the roofing. That is sheets that didn't get painted or the grooves are slightly off or just part of the sheet got painted. Anyhow I went to the Pratt and Lambert paint dealer here and he said that the paint he sells would fade and chalk after a few years and he recommended that I go to Sherwin Williams paint since it wouldn't.

I checked on the S/W website and they have a paint especially made for metal that doesn't need any primer. Cost is rather high but should work and they can make it any color you want. You probably wouldn't need a gallon of it so it could be very beneficial to give em a call as I don't know how it would work with aluminium, but could save a lot of work

11. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Check with local paint mfg's too. Sherwin Williams has good paint but pricey. I paint for a living and have found that a lot of money can be saved with local mfg's. Just call them and tell them what you intend to use it for.
    And the cost of true "marine" paint is not really that high when you consider the coverage you get with one gallon.

David Frantz