Boat paint

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Mark J, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You got a boat made of concrete?

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What I'm getting at is somebody has no clue what to coat a boat with and REALLY in this day and age with the internet it's almost equal to not being able to read.
    However I don't mind helping folks. I've used quite a few products and done alot of the work. Just keep in mind that I'll never send you out to buy a concrete epoxy floor coating to paint a fiberglass boat with because it might be a 100 bucks cheaper to do so. I wouldn't if was 3000 dollars cheaper.
    I don't advise people to be cheap or cut corners. I don't do it on my boats or property and I wouldn't do it on yours so I'm not going to tell you to be cheap. I'm not even going to help you be cheap. If you can't afford to do it the right way you can't afford what you are trying to fix.

Somebody mislead you so now you got a mess because you went the "cheap" route.
    First thing I would do is thank the person that persuaded you to put a concrete epoxy floor coating on your boat. Real bright idea! Second thing to do is get the crap off. All of it off. Then you'll have to decontaminate the hull BEFORE sanding. When you get through this process your punishment should be complete and your sentence commuted.

You got alot of prep work ahead of you. Alot of time involved and there will be some costs.
    This is a great lesson in FALSE ECONOMY.
    Doing it the right way the first time will always be cheaper then doing it 2 or 3 times especially if you feel like your time has value. It may cost more up front but that is what saving money is all about. Another lesson in life.

Use reputable websites.
    Stay off the redneck backyard jon boat building websites. 99.99999% of the time they use the wrong materials for the job because they are too cheap to do it right. They do stupid things like put concrete floor epoxy paint on boats.

IF IT WERE ME AND IT WAS A FIBERGLASS BOAT!!!
    I would sand the entire boat and fix any dings with thickened epoxy or Quickfare. NOT BONDO! Bondo is for cars.
    Then I would put 2 coats of epoxy on that hull to completely seal the hull and give you a new working surface.
    Sand it, prime it with the primer made to primer over epoxy and then roll it with Brightsides. You'll have a first class paint job if you can use a roller and a brush to tip and can halfway call yourself a painter.

Yea, take the motor off, and strip off all the hardware so you can get it done right the 3rd time around.