Boat paint

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by CountryHart, Mar 4, 2009.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm re-doing a basboat and have to sand/prime/paint the top cap. Clear coats gone and metal flake feels like grit. My question is do ya prime fiberglass with regular automotive primer or is it different. All i'm sanding down is the top cap. Thanks

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can. Imron is one of the best and least expensive paints to use on a boat. It's a durable paint. Only problem is it has to be sprayed.
    I'll put it to you this way. I've got some boats going now and will start 18 footer I intend to keep for myself probally late spring if I can hide it long enough to finish it so nobody talks me out of it. Imron is on the table for the hull paint and probally the way I go. That's when I got to hide it. When the outside of the hull gets sprayed right before flipping it rightside up drives people nuts everytime. They gotta have it and I tend to let em hold it.

For a do it yourself roll and tip application I would recomend Sterling paint.
    It's expensive as the dickens but you can roll and tip it to the point you cant tell it wasn't sprayed on. Mirror glossy too.
    If you roll and tip this is the one I would recomend to someone that has never done it. I think it's one of the easier paints to work with by hand.

Getting back to primer. Pick the paint first and use the primer matched to the paint. ALWAYS. I'd say most of the time most of these primers will work with other paints but there is always some that dont and then you've got a big mess and usually an expensive one.

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Good post Mark, could not have said it any better.

The only thing that I might add is to stay away from the cheap lacquer primer, Try to stick with an epoxy or urethane. And please were a good mask when spraying todays paints that contain isocyanates.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had planned on spraying both the primer and the paint. The Imron paint you referenced was also used on aircraft if i'm not mistaken? Must be good stuff. Thank you for the advice. jf

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Imron was really popular back in the 80's with hot rodders and car buffs.
    A candy apple red with about a dozen coats of clear coat.
    Looked like you could reach into the paint.
    Yes, planes have been painted with it.
    If it were a boat that stayed docked in the water more then a week at the time I wouldn't go Imron below the water line though.

Another darn good paint for boats is Awlgrip. I've never used it but have seen the results and it's sweet. I understand it's some pretty nasty stuff health wise though but I guess most are. Awlgrip is another pricey one.
    Awlgrip is favored by alot of the yacht builders.

6. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

Im not familiar at all with painting a boat, but i do have a large air compressor and a gravity feed gun..

am i understanding this right that i could try this Imron paint to completely repaint my 76 tri hull? i dont live near a lake or river, so it would be on the water for a weekend at a time only.. the boat i have is my first one, and i want to make it look good for as cheap as i can.. thanks mark for all your great posts throughout this site.. i really enjoy reading them...

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I can roll and tip paint to a sprayed look with good paint.
    When it comes to spraying paint I'm not your man. I pay someone to spray.

But yes, Imron will work fine and look great with a good prep.
    I'd probally rather recommend Awlgrip but it's not a paint to learn on especially at its price.
    Some of these paints are 300 or better a gallon.

Price wise Imron isnt bad.

8. kyleco55

State:
    Central In

thanks alot.. i think im going to try it out..ive painted a few vehicles before, so im familiar with the process anyways.. bought the boat for 300 with running inboard 4 cyl, and a trailer.. pretty sure im going to go with a standard white color, might throw in a blue stripe down the side.. gotta support them colts even in the summer months!:smile2:

9. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    i found a post on another forum of someone using oil based machinery paint above the water line.. what are your thoughts on this?

im trying to get my boat looking decent and fishable for less than $1000 total, and already got 400 invested and still have to replace the floor.. thanks again for all your advice...

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Also wear gloves and long sleeve shirt, isocyanates can be absorbed thru the skin. They are a definate health hazard, collect in the kidneys and never leave the body. They can also cause asthma and once sensitized to them just touching a wet coat of paint can bring on an attact which can kill. An air supplied respirator is recommended or required for using paints with isocyanates in them. The thinners are kinda bad too. And always use the recommended thinner.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    As Mark J. stated here in FL, Awlgrip is the preferred paint of most yacht builders. I've got my entire deck painted with it, with sand mixed into it.

I like it much better than the gelcoat, it doesn't stain & all you have to do to clean it is use a little Simple Green & a garden hose:wink:

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Another option is some of the airplane paint. I have a buddy that works for Boeing as a painter and he used some of the airplane paint on his car trailer and it looks like new 12yrs later. He would toss rocks at it and it would not chip the paint, that stuff was hard a nails. Don't know the price but it would last a very long time so it might work out better in the long run.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    It may very well be Sterling, as Mark J. stated. That an Imron that were originally produced for aircraft use.

14. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That name does not sound familiar, but then again that was along time ago.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'd definately get into the floor before I did anything.
    You may be looking at stringer replacement and possibly a transom replacement.
    9 times out of 10 if you got much wrong with a floor and stringers you got a wet transom too.

Don't even attempt to budget until you thoroughly investigate.
    Seacast is the easiest transom repair. You can easily spend 400-500 bucks on seacast.
    A floor is up to the individual. I look at it like this. If I'm going to repair it I'm going to do it right whatever the cost is. Epoxy, glass cloth, glass tape, etc.
    Take pictures of my materials and progression pictures.
    When I sell the pictures go with the boat. The new owner knows whats been done and how it was done. When you do this type of repair it also bolsters your asking price.
    You can drop 800-1000 in a floor real quick not counting carpet or whatever you put on it.

Stringer replacement is pretty straight forward. It's messy work and mandates that you can lay up glass.

Paint. I've seen tons of boats painted with exterior latex. Not the best option but it's better then nothing.
    I'll just say that you can spend what you want to on paint from 20 bucks to ????? The depth of the wallet determines that.

Most of these boats aren't worth fixing from an economical standpoint unless you get a good motor in the deal and get a good deal on the whole package.

To give you an idea why I say that is that I can build (you can too)an 18 foot hull painted for around 2500 bucks. Keep in mind this is hull only. No rigging, motor, or trailer. Just a floating hull built like a tank and light weight.
    To refurbish an 18 footer I'd have as much time in it and just as much money if not more in the hull alone.

But it's understandable if the boat has sentimental value or it's a rare vessel that would pay to fully restore it.

Scrap your 1000 dollar budget. It wont work.

16. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Id listen to the plainsman, Ive painted many cars and Imron paint is pretty dangerous stuff, it will run pretty easily , It will give it a look like it was coated with liquid plastic, very hard and nice paint, You will need protection from the fumes and the overspray even if it is in the open, A tyveck suit and , get a good resporator even a air supplied one if you can borrow one. you dont even want to take on those chemicals,I ve shot that imron before and it will look good but be very causious, it also affects the central nervous system,When I used it it was a more expensive paint ,but I havent shot gelcoat or other boat paints before, we are going to paint our with a ureathane .Id talk to a local paint guy that shoot corvettes and get his advise Ive shot those too, epoxy primer and good ureathane paint, with clear, dont sand it afterwards if you can help it ,that top coat is the toghest.

17. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    well i busted into the floor today.. looks pretty solid underneath.. from the best i can tell the stringers look pretty solid.. ive got some 1/2 ply sheets already that are just lying around, so im planning on coating them with epoxy, and puttin some glass on top of that.

i was "told" the boat had been covered and inside a car port except for that last year and a half.. the guy i got it from did have an empty car port there, but thats as far as i can verify.. the wood i took up wasnt completely bad, just a few sections of it was rotted...

also... any ideas on a stock tank style live well placement? im not sure the exact weight of this boat, and dont want to over weigh it in any certain spot..:eek:oooh: