Boat or Shore Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Angler Ace, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I would like to take a little survey here to find out where most of the fishing is done from. I would think that MOST of us fish from SHORE. I know some fish both, and that would be oK, and you can explain why.
    Where Do You fish from?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I try to fish from the boat as much as possible. I hate bank fishing for the most part: too limited to location and way too many snags! Sometimes I will pull up to the bank and fish a good hole that way, but I reserve this for when the weather/water conditions are not very good.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Double A, most of the time I fish from a boat. But, sometimes late in the afternoon, I fish from the shore to catch bream/blue gills and carp.

4. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fish from the banks. But only cause I don't have a boat. YET...:sad2:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to have a boat and I loved it. But as I was traveling to an early morning striper destination and it was pitch black....I ran over a submerged tree on Old Hickory Lake In Tennesse(1986). I came to a sudden stop and threw a couple of buddies of mine into the windsheild and one of them, was cut up pretty bad from the metal that surrounded the windsheild. It demolished the lower unit that I had just replaced. That scared the he!! out of me and since that day....I have been a 100% bank fisherman. The bank fisherman is only limited by the amount of effort that he is willing to put forth to find good bank fishing spots.:wink:JMO

6. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I'm in the same boat as you Kelly. LOL so to speak.
    I can't afford one, and feel more comfortable from shore.
    I do Charter now and then for Sturgeon, and Stripers. I used to charter for Salmon also, but they shut Salmon down on us.

7. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well John, our day will come when we both can get a boat. Heck, all I really need is a john boat. Just something to get me in the water.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bank for me,Its just too much hassle and expense to have a boat nowdays.

9. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Bad experience there Mr.Young to bad that things like that happen, but they do. I, like you, are a 100% shore fisherman too when it comes to lakes and reservoirs, and I will admit I'am a good shore fisherman because of the reason you mentioned."You are only as good as you are because of the effort you are willing to put forth". Well put, and I agree 100%

10. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I do both. On days where I have lots of time and will fish most of the day I'll take the boat. However, If i come home from work early and just have an hour or two to fish, i'll load up the truck and fish from the bank. I've got several lakes that I fish, one of them is a constant level lake and for the most part the level stays the same year round. I almost always fish that one by boat. My favorite lake though, Lake Travis, is not a constant level and at current levels, I can't get the boat into my favorite holes so I'm currently bank fishing that lake. I also factor in the weather. If it's going to be a really windy day (red flag warning) I'll bank fish.

11. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I say AMEN to that Richard. I'm content being a shore fisherman.

12. Suthrngntlmn

Suthrngntlmn New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'd have to say 95% from a boat.

13. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Joey kinda hit the nail on the head for me, when he mentioned the WIND thing. I have fished many a day from shore, when the guy in the boat could not or did not want to fish. I just look for a good fishing spot out of the wind and do my thing. The big thing is you have to have these BACK UP spots you can turn to and get out of the wind, depending which way it blows.

14. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i used to fish from both bank and boat now just bank fish i have to agree with 223reload just to expensive and the older i get the more hassel it has become

15. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i'm a bank fisherman too. i like the challenge of being as good as the amount of water i can cover its all knowledge and skill. nothing against most boat fishermen i understand a lake can be a big featureless place and you can use some electronics to find your hotspot unlike those bass whackers :roll_eyes:

16. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I fishing from boat and shore. Along about October I start looking for good bank spots using the boat to find them. I like to find bank spots that only can be reached by boat. I guess I can get more comfortable fishing from the bank . Just something special about night fishing with a small camp fire on a secluded bank. -- - Does it get any better than that?

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

It doesn't get any better than that....your right!:cool2:

18. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Camping AND Fishing. Nothing in THE WORLD better. Right on Guys.
    Just someting SPECIAL about it.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I mainly boat fish on the river systems. When I fish lakes, I use the boat soley to get to where I am going to fish, then I setup from the bank. I don't like how still and calm lakes can get at night compared to the rivers. I think a little mess up, especially in shallow water from a boat is enough to spook big flatheads from many yrds. away! Very important to keep unnatural noises to a minimum in my opinion..... rollo

20. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    here in k.c on the kansas and missouri rivers bank fishing is verylimitedif youa place to fish theres limited space,mud brush,poisionivyetc.they make it hard to fish the two big rivers. there are some good catfishing lakes around to,but also {hard} but not impossible to fish off the bank