Boat Opinion's needed

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Prowler, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Well, after completely rigging out the 14' starcraft mod V boat that I have, and dealing with the headache of having 2 outboard motors that are still "being repaired" I have come to the conclusion that I might be a heck of a lot happier with something newer..... and therefore hopefully safer and more hassle free.

Sooooo..

I have been seriously considering picking up a new boat.

Looking at the following setups.. please let me know if you have any pro's / con's on each.

#1 Alumacraft MV 1650 AW CC (local dealer has one on special that will cost about 11k out the door with 50hp yamaha 2 stroke) this boats a hair smaller than what I want but with a 55 inch width on the bottom I think it will be a pretty solid platform for the potomac.

#2 G3 1756 CC (waiting on a price quote on this one, would be same setup yamaha 50hp 2 stroke)

#3 2007 TRACKER GRIZZLY® 1860 CC All-Welded (price on this one before tax and tags is 11,795.... BUT thats with a 40hp 4 stroke merc)

2. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like the 4-stroke engines. I have a 90-hp Honda on my boat. They are far quieter than 2-stroke and that's nice if someone is on the boat with you. I'm always a little annoyed at the boat ramp when I have the misfortune of being downwind of a 2-stroke. Practically choke on the smoke from some. Which means that a 4-stroke is far better environmentally. And, of course, we fisherman are environmentalist by our very nature. I've heard that 4-strokes are more reliable, too. Hope so.
    Keep us updated on your purchase. I'd like to know how your boat works out:big_smile:.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    4 strokes are wonderful until they break down. If you thought a 2 stroke was expensive to repair, wait until you see the bill on a 4 stroke.

At this point I'd go with an E-Tec for a new engine. They are just as quiet or quieter then some 4 strokes and surpass emmission standards.
    They have it figured out.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I must just be living wrong!!! I got a old 15 semi v with a 69 johnson 9.9 on a homemade trailer that I bought for $450 bucks. But darn if it dont just catch fish!!

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thats an interesting rig you have there Will.When you are craving fish do you just send it out and wait til it comes back with the fish or do you have to go with it????:smile2::wink::cool2::roll_eyes:E-Tecs are great engines!We run a bunch of them here on our Navy Patrol boats and haventhad a minutes problem with it yet.The new generation of injected 2 strokes like the E-Tecs,Optimaxes etc are far superior to any 2 stroke previously built.They are just as fuel efficient at most rpm ranges as a 4,have 9/10ths less emissions as before and a better low end torque range than any 4 stroke.Plus they are generally far lighter and less expensive than 4s and just about as quiet.I really see no advantage to either the 4s or new 2s other than the weight advantage or as Mark pointed out it is cheaper to repair the 2s.:smile2:

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Alex,
    I.M.H.O. If you think the A'craft is too small go with your gut and don't buy it. You will kick yourself when you are on the river and realize you were right.
    The G3 is a nice boat (as is the A'craft) but at only a foot longer it too may turn out to be smaller than you really want/need. With 50 HP on the back I think you will also find it somewhat underpowered.
    The Grizzly is a good size but again I think you will wish it had more power. See if they will swap out the 40HP 4 stroke for a bigger 2 stroke at the same price.
    4 stokes are great; I have a 115 Yamaha on my boat and it runs like a top but if I had known then what I know now I would have got the E-Tec.
    Whichever way you cut it it's a bunch of cash. I always think along the lines that $11,000 spent on something you are not totally happy with is $11,000 wasted whereas $12,000 or $13,000 on something you are really happy with is money well spent...W

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i think W... hit the nail on the head. dont sell yourself short it will only piss you off in the long run. this spring i broke down and bought a new G3 1860cc dlx. with a 90 4stroke yamaha. so far i luv it. it has been versatile enough for me to fish both fresh and saltwater. i have been stickin' flounder-running trotlines-bass fished-flyfished-pulled a tube- you name it. i am not the kinda fisherman who babies his boat, i have had it stuck on mud flats-oyster and sand bars- and high centered on cypress stumps. the only visible marks on the whole boat are where a tree from my back yard fell across it. even that is a barely noticeable dent. the engine runs like a top, quiet and very very efficient. dont get me wrong it has plenty of get up and go, with me and 2 friends + a full ice chest she still planes off and trims up close to 40 mph. the deck has that wierd vinyll hull covering that i didnt like at 1st, but it doesnt burn your bare feet, and it helps absorb the shock in rough chop. the only drawback to the G3 is the very small baitwell. when i first started looking at the G3 boats i was sold on getting the 17 cc, but the more i looked at price the more i convinced myself that i should go on and get the 18' the base package prices really aint much diff. but the 40 extra hp. and the space on the inside is. i keep a sleeping bag and an old single burner coffee pot in the bow of mine cause if the fishin gets hot i aint leavin. i am 6'4 and i have plenty of room to stretch out and take a nap.

hope it helps
    j.d.

8. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I bought a Alumacraft pro 175 with a 90hp yamaha 2 stroke this year and I love it. It is wide enough to be stable and has plenty of power to get where you need to. It has 2 livewells, plenty of storage and very comfortable chairs. I have fished 3 out of it comfortably. So my vote goes for Alumacraft. Again that is just my opinion.

9. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    JD, Brandon, If you don't mind me asking, how much did you both give for those rigs.

I would have to say that the G3 1860 CC deluxe package would be just about everything i could possibly want... my one and only complaint about this boat is that the livewell is much to small.. for me that would have to be the "baitwell" :smile2:

Thanks for the responses guys...

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can automatically forget a baitwell on a bait in this price range.
    I've never seen one that much was good for anything other then storage to make up for the lack of storage like these same boats.
    I've fished alot out of the 1860 G3 CC with a 90 4 stroke yammer hammer.
    It gets you on the water. Beyond that its not worth writing home about.

I know what I :smile2:would do.
    Get one of those motors running like a top, take 4 grand and build a heckuva 18 footer and not have payments.

11. maximumflash

maximumflash New Member

State:
    Fort Belvoir, VA
    I am thinking of buying a boat and I find all of your comments interesting. I was considering the 4 stroke engines but after reading this thread, I may decide to go with a 2 stroke.

Good info.... thanks everyone.