Boat Motors

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Wally, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Me and Buba got the go ahead to buy a used boat !!!:grin-big: YEA

One question that I have off the top of my overwelmed head...I/O vs O ???

More reliable ??? Easy to work on ??? Better fuel economy???

Merc, OMC, Johnson, Evenrude, Yamaha, Force, Chrysler ???? :know-big:

I am at the point that I just got REALLY DUM!!!

Thanks for any and all help !! More questions to follow as I get dummer!!!

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    What size are you looking for?

What kind of h2o are you going to fish?

How big of boat and what is it rated for?

Fishing, pleasure, or both?

3. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Yamaha 4 stroke gets my vote. I have a 100 hp on a 24 ft pontoon and a 25 hp on a 16 ft flat bottom. Fished two days and ran a good ways up the river and burned 7.5 gal on the pontoon recently. The motor is what you want to be reliable. The only thing that I would change is that I would like Electric tilt/trim on the 25. That is because I have a problem lifting with an Incisional Hernia.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well wally lets see what we can do here:)

Telling a man what boat motor is the best for him is like ice cream flavors.
    You never know what is best until you have tried them.
    Of course out boards are a little more expenses then Ice cream but not by much.
    My preference is Johnson or even rude. I like those older motors because they were bullet strong.
    If I was going to buy a new one I would most likely get me a new evenrud e-tech.
    Now you have problem figured out I like out boards over inboards, To me they are more economical and last longer.
    Now mercs makes a good motor to but I like the Yamaha to. The older mercs were hard to work on for me.
    I need you to post about what age motor you will be looking at and I will run down some stats for you.
    What will be your primary use for the boat.

Of course they say a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.
    I have been throwing money at them for 40 years now.:)

5. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Fellas...thanks for the quick reply!!!

Here is what I got SOOOO Far !!!

8 or 9 years old 17' Aluminium Pro Tracker w/70 hp Mariner motor.

Have never seen the boat...have no Idea about the hours or condition. A friend of a friend's cousin, getting a "bargin" kind of a deal !!!

Any information about what I am getting into, what to look for, what questions to ask, would be helpful. It's about 130 miles away and I want to be ready to check it out.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    See if they have a service record on it. Get someone to take a compression ck.
    It ain't as important as how high the compression is to how even each cylinder is. On the smaller motors I have seen them run good with 70 pounds of compression.
    If I was you I wouldn't buy it unless it was at least 110 or up on each cylinder.

Ck the wires under the cowleing to make sure ther are not chopped up and ck the lower unit to make sure it hasn't any chunks of metal in it.

Some brown wet powderish type od metal dust will be normal. Big chunks you can feel inbetween your fingers ,"no"

If you buy it one of the first things you want to do is change the water pump and lower unit oil and add a new set of plugs. If it has been over six months since it was last run change the gas out to.
    BTW you can use that old gas in your mower it won't hurt it.

7. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Look at the bottom of the boat, it will tell you how it was used. Usually the first thing to go on a boat is the transom. Also, if it is a rivited boat, look closley to the rivits and see if any are scrapped off or pulled. Bubbakat gave ya some great advice for the motor.

8. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Man !!! Don't you fellas SLEEP !!!!! LOL

Thank you once again. Suposed to see it some time this week!

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Good luck with the boat wally.. see if you can take it for a ride this is a important part of buying any boat.. i learned that the hard way a few years back.. just putting muffs on don't get you going up or down the lake/river..

10. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    We are sleeping! BOC is always in our dreams!

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What in the world is that? :) :)