Boat motor repair in OKC

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by OkieBo, May 8, 2006.

1. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I called around today looking for some parts for my 1957 18HP Johnson sea horse motor with the pressurized fuel tank. I needed parts for the old tank. They Qouted me 80 bucks to rebuild the fuel tank with all new gaskets and o-rings. Seems a bit high! I took it apart and put it back together in 30 minutes. A gasket set thru the internet was 30 bucks delivered. They also told me they could update the old motor to a fuel pump for around 100 bucks. Thats with me trading my old pressurized tank in on the deal. Is this worth it? Chuck and Daves is the name of the place in Oklahoma city. Has anyone delt with them?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That pressurized fuel tank in good working order I have seen go for 2 to 3 hundred dollars.
    Just log onto e-bay and check out some of the pressurized tanks and see what they are bringing.

I use to talk to a guy on the net that would sell you one of those type tanks with a motor and say bring the tank back when the motor blows and I'll give you what you payed me for the whole thing back. He said the tanks were worth more then the motors.
    Order you a kit and rebuild it yourself.

3. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have used Chuck and Dave's a few times. I deal with Dave for the most part and he is a very honest guy. Chuck is honest too but I like I said I deal mainly with Dave. I have found them to be the best deal in town.

David Frantz

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    David, is that who you suggested for me to get a water pump from, and if so, do you have their number?? If so, can you pm it to me?

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And remembering thr frenzied activity before last years gathering, OKCcatman definetly knows where to go to get work done. lol

6. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I think i will order the rebuild kit and do it myself! The motor runs great when it was working right so i might buy a year or two with it. He also said he could rig me up with an electric start since mine is manual and will almost break your hand at times. I would like to convert this motor in thr future to remote steer and throttle. The brackets are on the motor but i do not have the cables and throttle stick. Anyone got any leads on this stuff?

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  8. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Tony.... for your motor you want to call Ken's boat sales in OKC.

David Frantz

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Speaking of boats. Does anyone know a cheap place for SKEG
    repair? A lady (one cell phone) didnt stop in time when I was pulling my boat and my skeg stuck into her bumber and broke off while she was backing off. The couple places that Ive called told me around a hundred. That seems kind of steep for a simple weld.

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Try "The Prop Shop"... I haven't had them do work but I have seen some of it. It looked like a real good job and I hear the prices are decent.
    Dave

11. Raypo

Raypo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If you go to bass pro shop they make a rebiuld kit. It has 2 plates on easch side and bolts on its real easy. I cought mine on a rock and bought one because it was making my boat pull. It cost $30-40 and it took 5 minutes to install and its better than new.:smile2:

12. soonercat

soonercat New Member

State:
    oOklahoma
    I also have used daves of chuck and daves services and he was great. I took my old merc over to his house and got it back in a week. he lives in spencer,seamed to be a great guy!

13. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Prop Shop does excelllent work and they are very reasonable, wouldn't go anywhere else for prop work.