Boat motor Question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Snagged2, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hello,
    I've been wondering,, what type of outboard motor , or are there any, is required to get battery charging capability?
    We've been looking at some boats lately, and I didn't realize that so many didn't have the ability to charge the battery,, for trolling motors or lights..
    Is it a vintage or size(HP) determination?

Thanks,Greg

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If it's an electric start it will have a charging circuit in its stator. They are usually good enuff to keep your starting battery up to snuff, you can add a charging diverter to the system that will divert charge to alternate batteries after the starting battery reaches a predetermined voltage. I'm not sure if many or any pull start only motors have charging circuits. Hope this helps, good luck. WRB

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    bear has a good point. i learned alot when i purchased my boat. i only have a suzuki 50 hp four stroke but i know that this motor keeps my starting battery fully charged at all times. I have logged over 100 hours on it and every time i put the charger on it only takes a minute for it to return to full charge and i also run a fish finder and spot light off of it. I also know that some motors require to run at full throttle for a length of time before you even get 1 amp of charge! some boat dealers will tell u what you want to hear but i was fortunate to have a friend in the industry. good luck

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks a lot guys,, appreciate the info. It makes sense..