Boat Motor Question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by KansasKatter, Oct 2, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have two questions about my boat motor. It is an 84 Mercury 25hpXD.

1. I forgot to ask the guy the fuel/oil mixture. What ratio does this motor require?

2. Is it possible to convert a prop motor to a jet? Do they make a retro kit on the aftermarket anywhere to do this?

Thanks!

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    If you didn't get a manual when you got the engine then I would strongly recommend getting a manual for it, that way you know exactly what your engine needs and at what intervals. If you get the serial number off of the engine you should be able to go to mercurys website and get that book, or if you have the serial number you should be able to call them and get the information you need.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The loss of power even if you could convert would not make you happy.If you need a jet I would buy one of sufficient power and thrust to do what you want.:smile2:

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks Jim, I was kind of afraid of that. I would love to have a jet, the river we fish in goes from one extreme to another in a hurry, and is pretty rocky. I am just afraid I am going to tear up the prop motor. Once I get a depth finder though, that will help. I can pull the motor up and use the trolling motor to get through the shallow stuff, when I know it is coming.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Buy the Clymer manual for your motor - it will tell you everything you need to know to maintain and work on the motor yourself. You can get the manual at just about any boat supply store. They cover a range of HP and model years in a single manual so be sure to get the right one and always make sure you're reading the sections that pertain to your specific motor.

First thing I'd do is change the oil in the lower unit and put on a completely new water pump. Both are easy to do. The water pump assembly may cost $40 or so; the lower unit should take less than a quart of oil. Replace the fiber seals on the drain plugs for the lower unit also.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Turns out you can do it, but like you said, you lose about 30%HP with this kit.......

http://www.outboardjets.com/index.html

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jeff, heed Mr.T's advise on this one.............could save you a bunch of money down the road!!

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Mercury oil ratio from late 70's to last of the 2 cycle 25 and under stayed 50-1 mix.on every motor that I know of.I have run and mixed oil for 7 different HP Merc.tiller motors during this period.peewee-williams

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Question 1 50:1 as pee wee stated

# 2 You would loose more then 30% would be more like 40 to 45 %
    Those sites give you ideal set ups and who among us has an ideal set up.