Boat moter trial run in Colorado River

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Wac M Trac M, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Went to the Colorado river near Marble Falls to run the new moter and try to catch me a big bluecat.

Heres my finished moter
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46567&stc=1&d=1218145448

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46568&stc=1&d=1218145448

Heres the rig all loaded up. The moter swivels around and sits in the boat.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46569&stc=1&d=1218145448

So I get out there and try the moter a while. She runs great. I zip around a while and then head into a cove where Byron showed me how to catch bait. I cut the moter and slowly paddled in. I saw some movement up ahead so I picked up my cast net and stood on the dog platform of my boat and waited till the were in range. I chunked the net into a perfect circle right on top of the swirls. As my net sunk I saw lots of flashes in the net. I netted a huge group of shad...good ones from 4 to 6 inches. I kept a a few dozen and let the rest go. I was so exicted. I thought the cats wouldn't have a chance.
    I motered to a huge ledge and fished an hour till almot dark. Not a single bite so I moved to the same spot Byron took me to last time I was there. I could see a distinct seam in the water and casted all my lines to it. Sat there 2 hours with no bites. I reeled in my big rod and cut the tail off of the 6inch shad. I waited and waited. 3 beers and 2 cigars later the big pole started singing. I picked it up and felt the fish swimming away so I set the hook. I was kinda half awake and didn't get a good set. I guess due to the current and long cast I made. I reeled in fast and felt alot of weight on the rod. It was a good heavy fish. He was headshaking real hard and makeing lots of short runs. I got him close to the surface and the hook pulled. I fished all night for one bite and it was totally worth it. I wish I got to see that fish though. He would not come up and stayed deep the whole time. Lots of head shakes. Is that what blue cats do?

By the way the moter ran great but it did get a little hot toward the end there.

Attached Files:

2. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Great report Frank, My son Kevin went through something like that a few months ago. Kevin hooked something big, I'm thinking it was a cat from the little I saw of it as I was trying to net him. I guess it saw me as I reached for him with the net and only touched his back, then it was over he was gone! strenghted out a ss terminal snap rated for 30#. Kevin now calls him "MobyCat"

Rubes

3. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mobycat..i like that one. I guess ole Moby moved to the Colorado Lake chain for now. LOL

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    That motor looks good. I was gonna build one,but tradedmy canoe for a jon boat.

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    That motor looks great and it sounds like its working good for you too.Thanks for the update.