Boat modifications

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Mr Twister, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I'm getting a new boat (new to me). It is a 1999 Lund 1790 Bass boat. What mods do you think I should consider to make it a great cat boat?

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Don't know if this your first boat or not ??
    If it is, hit the Library and build (or buy :roll_eyes:) a nice Bait Tank for all the fresh lively bait you can chase down now.
    Learn your FishFinder
    Rod Holders
    On Board Charger

This may sound silly, but while its still in your drive, load it up with all your gear, get in "Fishing" postion (LOL) and look around.. Think about what would make xx more convient at nite/in a hurry/big fish on/etc... That right there should give you ALOT of ideas on how to set it up/change it around.. Figure out where to put/mount your most used items (Net, Pliers, Knife, whatever). You'll want all that kind of stuff in easy reach, but out of the way. Last summer, My Neighbors probably had quite the chuckle at me. I went so far as putting rods in the holders and then getting em out like fish on and seeing what all I could get without much trouble.. You'll probably learn you got waay too much gear loaded hehe and putting the net on the bow of the boat wasnt all that great an idea after all :roll_eyes:

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with what Sub Net said. Some good advisse.:smile2:

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    berkley quickset rod holders

5. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Thanks guys. It will be my first boat. Hopefully I'll get it Tuesday. I wasn't really looking for a Bass boat, but it was too good a deal to pass up. Thanks...

Eric

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Eric, If you are anything like me, you carry way too much .... uh.... CrrrRRRRAaaAApppPPPp!!!!

I too have a new boat coming so I have thought about it. My last boat, a 1654 Landau had Attwater type rodholders. They were good, but bulky. For the new one I have 12 Driftmasters. I also have a real problem with rod storage space. My new boat comes with a 7 foot lockable rod locker but I am also going to install vertical rod holders as well as a place for the net. I am going to fashion my own bait tank out of a 30 gal blue rubbermaid trash can complete with bilge for inflow, bilge for aeration and an overflow hole. I am also going to install dock lamps on the front as I need to come up river on plane at night which can be pretty dicey in 8 inches of water. I am also installing an Anchor mate so that I can anchor or move from the helm. Probably the last thing will be some kind of shelter up front for shade, cover at night, space to heat, while fishing out of the back.

Good luck and have fun

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Shawn, do you own an oil can????????????????