Boat Modifications you have made

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by altamahajon, Jan 26, 2009.

1. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Well after a year I finally got to a project that I have been wanting to do for along time. The boat we have only had approx 15 inches of deck platform and made it very difficult and dangerous on numberous occasions tying to manuever up front to balance to retreive the anchor, tie off toe over hanging trees, working limb lines and other functions that put my wife in some bad situations. We decided to add onto the deck platform with more decking by building a frame work to the front of the boat. Using the ribs for support and 2x2 we were able to then attache a floor joist type rail across the boat in two locations. After getting the top cut out.... layed down and screwed in.... we took turns standing on the top with my big butt.......lol and of course in faking a net throw and moving around while the boat was shaking and moving back forth. We are so glad we did this. Not only does it give us standing room but the way this boat is layed, it did not have storage options that worked for us. Any of you that have seen us travel on the waters know just caring a cooler, bait, clothes and other items we didnot have any room in the boat at all to move aroud and fish like we would like to.

Attahed are some pics of the part of the project. I am nearly thru..... just wanted to share these with you.

Your thoughts or ideas and what futher I would want or need to do from this point.

AJ

Attached Files:

2. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    You did a great job,looks great, you will enjoy that room.

3. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Not quite thru, got some other cuts and boxes to make. Mount the seat bracket, enclose the front area making two sets of doors and boxing in the end caps..... dont know if we are going to carpet it or not. Just an old river boat.... prob just coat it good with a good sealer that will not effect the aluminum. I did not use pressure treated stuff due to the reaction it has with aluminium and corrosion.

Thaks for the kind remarks.
    AJ

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    John, looks great! But wouldn't it have just been easier to take out a BIG life insurance policy on the wife!?!?!:smile2: Just kidding, deck looks great and I'm sure it will make it much safer and more comfortable to fish out of. Nice work!

5. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    Well its 12:30 tue morning just got in the door, neibor just called and wanted to no what the HECK i was doing pulling a tarped over boat in the middle of a freking ice storm ......well i just got threw installing 7 red LED lights inside of my boat for night fishing and man are they WAY cool ,shut the lights off in the grage an it lights up the whole inside of grage .I also used the spray on bed liner and sand trick. that works very nice!! put it on the front edge were i step to get in an out . made streps about 3" wide on the front deck , now i won't bust my but any more. made a BOC logo inbtween the streps . I took pics of every step, but don't no how to down load them on to the site as thumbnails. .....The two mods. i made. I have learned from people in this site and they are both GREAT ideas...thank you gentleman for sharing such wonderful ideas in so much understandable detail ....from iced over So. IL...BIG THANX

6. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    tyr'n pics

7. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My boat started off as an 18' x 60" shallow side aluminum flat bottom Landu. I have ripped out all the aluminum seats plus side console and the original livewell wich was about 12"x12" and the front platform. I then made side braces and floor braces to match the exsiting. I replaced the front platform with a new front platflorm that is also a large dry storage. I then placed a 48" aluminum underbody tool box about 2' up from the back of the boat. This serves as both my live well and seat. I have it plumed with a 750 gph pump that pulls water from lake or river I am fishing plus a 500 gph pump to help keep the water circulating. with both a high and low water drains. Since removing the original seats and front platform this took all the floataion out of the boat. To help correct the issue I used a 4'x10' condenced styrofoam structureal pannel for the floor. Thats right 10' of floor. this pannel has been epoxied and fasten every 8" in the framing of the boat. This makes for a very solid ride. I raised the transom to accept a large foot engine wich is a late 90s model mercury 40 with hydralic trim. I also made a small center console for all my controls plus it holds 3 12volt batteries in the base. I have added a 2x10 cut to the contour of the side of the boat to mount my rod holders and use as a cutting board for my bait. Plus it holds my rods when moving from hole to hole. I have two lights mounted to it as well. Behind the huge live well I have enough room to keep 6 6 gallon fuel tanks. It may not be the prettiest on the water but for working catfish in all aspects you could not have a better working boat. Will go 40 mph and can manuver in 6" of water with a pole. plus keep more baitfish alive then you will use or will hold 3 50 lb fish in the live well.

8. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    erik, sounds pretty COOL ,looks aint everything .The only person I try to impress is myself..So as long as it works for you THATS all that matters, would like to see some pics . thanx for sharing your info ...PS really neat Idea for the Live-Well I'll be keepin my eye out for old tool box :cool2:

9. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Teri and I just started our boat modifacations, we tore the whole floor up and we are replacing the foam , adding support to the ribs putting in a bait and a additional live well, moving the gas tank up front adding a small compartment in the back , putting an inverter and bttery charger on board, and a few other convienences, there is a lot to constructing things in a boat.We ll see how it all works.Cant wait to put it to use I m redy for the weather to break and the fishin to begin. I ve got some pics in my albums

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One 'modification' I made would be a great idea for someone on a very limited budget who wanted to completely redo the inside of a boat. I bought an old 16' aluminum V-hull speedboat, motor, and trailer at an auction for the value of the trailer. It was the design where there's a seat for the driver and a passenger beside him, then a second seat for two more passengers. A totally worthless design for anything but riding around or skiing. That's why I got it for almost nothing. The motor was only good for parts, so I removed it and sold it. Then I tore everything off the top and insides of the boat. I even tore out the floor, because it was really soft. I was left with nothing but a bare aluminum hull with a nice solid transom that had had a big old 60hp Mercury on it. Just to check out how it might ride, I put on a small tiller outboard and took it for a ride on the lake. It rode nice...solid and stable. I thought about fixing it up myself for a catfishing boat, but the sides were too high for comfortable trotlining, which I was doing a lot of at the time. So, I sold it to someone who wanted to fix it up. Since I was able to sell the aluminum I took off the top, and sell the motor for parts, I ended up with a nice bare hull and trailer for almost nothing.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dang crazy catfishers!:smile2: She's lookin good!

12. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Started on putting the doors on for storage. Picked up four red led lights from walmart for about 5 bucks a piece. Hooked them up and tested them in the boat layed out. They lite things up good for a nite trip on the river. Not to bright and lite it up just right. Will run the wires for those later. Put on two of the doors today. Had to quit, got cold and dark fast. Here is another pic as we go.

Thanks for all the tips and info. I am not a carpenter but it seems to be working out ok. lol

AJ

Attached Files:

13. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Finished up on the deck, doors, pedistal, front seat pole. Put two coats of Thompsons water sealer on all wood items in the boat......

Will get all the wiring done this weekend and have the red led lights going by Monday.

Here are pic attachments on what we got done today.

Attached Files:

14. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    thanx , for letting me/us how its going LOOKING GOOD!! thanx for the pics thats what makes this such a great site! sharing info. an pics. of the step by step progess.. I tried my red (led) wal-mart clearance lights out on the lake FEB 12th WAY COOL IDEA!!!! don't no about bugs yet ..got 7 lights in the tunnel hull, just what the BOCter orderd going to work out GOOD ..THE nonskid idea works WAY COOL too>>. wishing i would have done the whole front deck now. instead of just strips. start small end up doing it all..

15. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Looking good Greg. That turned out really nice. Safe and extra storage, thats a winner!

16. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Greg, very impressive, your cat boat is really coming around brother!
    Brian

17. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    Well just about thru with the boat project...... letting the TUFF COAT dry in good before I do anything else...... then mount the foot control to the trolly motor back on...... Temps are suppose to be up in the low 70's and dying to get on the river..........

Here are some of the near finished project......

oh yeah, got the 4 Three led red lights installed and look great. Perfect for the nights without messing up night vision... 5 buck a piece at Wally world.

Greg

Attached Files:

18. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    hay man thanx for the pics/ lot of dif. angles look really GOOD!! don't no if your going to do alot walking around on it if so the anti skid idea is cool an cheap$$ RED led are were its at...