Boat Modification

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by FlatheadDreaming, Jan 13, 2010.

1. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    Well boat mods went underway today! Taking it from the typical set in the rear jon boat and converting if over so it will be much easier to fish out the back. So far the guys at the shop got everything moved how i think i want them. In the end i will have an extra dry box. the bait well has cardboard on it now but im gonna make a top with a removable seat base for it or a flip up lid kind of thing. With the new premium throttle cables, and steering cables, lower unit lubed real good and everything put back into place looking like it just came out of the factory ill be out a little over $300 wich i thought was fair. Now i just need to get my bimini installed, need 3ft sliders for it, rod holders in place, and stereo and ill be set. Scotty is rigging me up a stainless steel angle iron i got with all my rodholder bases welded on, rod holders will be places about where the red stars are. Seat bases will be located were the dark circles are. What do you guys think?????

Attached Files:

2. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like a plan. Will the rod holers be elevated off the back deck or just attatched on the floor? That set up will work for you.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Looks good!

Bill in SC

4. Fishin'_Fool

Fishin'_Fool New Member

State:
    Moberly MO
    Looks like a pretty good setup. I've been wanting to take the middle bench seat out of my 14' jon to allow more floor space, but I'm not sure how it will affect the stability of the boat. It's 66" wide at the widest point and made of pretty light weight aluminum. Just wondering if removing the middle bench would affect it...there are still floor braces in place. Any comments?

5. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Fine looking rig :flag:

6. FlatheadDreaming

State:
    Grain Valley
    the rodholders will be attaches to a stainless angle iron and placed over the corner of the back deck. They shouldnt need to be elevated becauce when you lean over to reach for a rod they will be at perfect level, I also like a more solid base, I hate it when a fish his one rod and they all giggle! also when snagging and stuff i can unsrew the rod holders from the base and put seats in the orginal bases making plenty of room for four people to snag without any bars being in the way. I think it will be so much easier to fish out of then the old way. I can't wait to get it all done. I wish everything would stay frozen a little longer so i wouldn't be so antsy.

7. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    jim it will affect it. shawn was lookninto to doing that with his boat. romoving the seat causes a weakness there. u can get them runners or whatever there called. trip hazards is my term that go up and down the boat. ribs i guess whould be the proper term. to reinfore it.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Lookin good Morris. Keep us posted as you go!!

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I want to know who's BIG AZZ SHOP you are working in, WOW!

My only concern with your setup is all the deckspace you are losing once the rods are in the water. Also fighting a fish around all the other rods. Just looked like they are pretty far forward. Can you get your fish boatside from an inner rod without having to clear all the other rods?

Lots of folks like that setup and nothing wrong with it.

10. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looking good Morris

11. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've fished in a boat set up like that. He won't have anything to step over to get to the back. So I don't think catching one on an inner rod will be an issue. Hope it works.

12. FlatheadDreaming

State:
    Grain Valley
    Yea i think it will be ok, Its pretty much copy cat of scotties boat, I usually always fish with someone so if it is a big fish in his boat we always reel in all the rods on one side of the boat to help land the fish. Medium sized fish just put the out side rod over the one your reeling in once the fish gets close enough and set it in the rodholder the pole was in that you got your fish on, small fish just yank him right up over the transome. When your fishing by yourself and get one on the center rod it will be a little tougher i see what your saying Skip! Im always down for a good challenge though! LMAO I try not to ever stand on the back deck as clumbsy as i am ill fall in for sure!!! Thats why i am trying to set it up this way.LMAO
    The pictures make my boat look longer than it really is, my back deck is pretty small!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Take lots of pics! I've done some major mods and sometimes get wrapped in my work and forget to take pics.

Looks like a good plan.

You still didn't say who's BIG AZZ SHOP you are working in. That's a nice shop space....HUGE!

14. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    Hey it looks good!! I got a 2006 alumacraft set up almost the same way . you can spin your seat around and fish out the back , its great, you'll love it

15. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Look-in good Morris; a boat to be proud of.

16. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Jim's question about removing the middle bench:

I have a 1648 Weldbuilt that I had the middle bench taken out of - actually I had the factory build the boat without the middle bench. This wasn't an issue with my boat b/c Weldbuilt runs 3" tubing supports down the length of the boat even with benches installed. This was a major factor in choosing this manufacturer; in researching my options I found that many manufacturers rely on the benches to provide structural support. Before removing that middle bench it would be prudent to examine the manufacturer's design. You may need to have some extra supports welded into place.

Good luck.

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Nice job so far...
    One thing to remember is that if you are gonna put a pedestal seat in that mount on a flip up lid you will need a heavy duty catch on the lid and always remember to fasten it. You don't want it to flip up and dump the seat or your buddy out the back of the boat...W

18. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
    Looks good! what, if any do U think it will make in the ride in rough water?? I have a lowe 17.5 with a cc and was thinking about moving the console all the way up to the front deck and was told that the ride would be rough and wet, what do U think????

19. FlatheadDreaming

State:
    Grain Valley
    I will let you know how it rides, im taking it out tomorrow, I was told that with my current modle it should improve things, thats what my buddy who done it for me said and he had done a few before, he is a mechanic for G-3 and dose there warrenty work, thats why he has such a big shop skip.I have a 21 gal gas tank, two big batteries, and a big 4-stroke, add two fat guys setting back there and thats alot of weight in the back. LMAO! It should help counter balance a little bit of the weight, ill post tomorrow letting you know.