Boat lights

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by mocatman, Jan 13, 2010.

1. mocatman

mocatman Guest

I was getting ready to rig up some lights on my 18' jon boat and i was going to see some ideas everyone might have. I was wanting lights on the front for navigation and some low led's in the rear to shed some light on the poles. What works good for everyone?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I found a Utility light from a Truck, and rigged it onto my boat,,
    wired it up and , then put a switch on the dashboard..
    It works pretty good, and I can adjust it by "bumping" it. Depending on boat load, and situation..
    It created a lot of glare in the position I had to mount it, so. I spray painted an area in front of it, with Wrinkle black paint, and that helped the glare situation out a LOT!!
    I don't have any interior lights setup yet, but, am working on it!!
    Good Luck,Greg

Attached Files:

3. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use an 18" green crappie light with alligator clips. I cut a pvc pipe and placed the light inside it. I also put a cap on one end and duct tape on the other. I had to cut a sliver on one side of the tube so the light would only be aimed at my poles. It works really well and it is cheap. Little over $20 would cover it. Cop Chris has fished in my boat with me and he liked the idea.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would suggest you browse the INTERNET and read the USCG rules on navigational lights. As I understand it, the light on the bow of the boat would be illegal as if it were on while underway, it would over power the red/green navigation lights. It is just a personal opinion, and I understand that everyone has one and is entitled to their opinion, but if running with just your normal night vision is not sufficient, I'd get a hand held spot light and only use it as needed. When you have a fixed light, the bounce of the boat in the waves, chop, etc will make it near impossible to keep the light where you need it. If you were to "blind" someone else under power, you could be held responsible for the damage or loss of life. Light at night is wonderful, but you have got to use it wisely. As far as lights to see the poles, I only buy white poles...just so you can see them at night. A small piece of reflective tape wrapped around the tip is all you would need. Trailer side lights are sufficient to show the reflective tape.

5. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some people use the halogen lights on the front of their boats here in Missouri and for other boaters, it really sucks because you can't see anything. Opossum has a cool setup with the green light, keeps bugs away and also provides plenty of light to see the rods off the back. Chris

6. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
  7. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Is that your boat with the Green Lights Richard ??? Thats cool not too bright yet great for vision.

8. Here-Fishy-Fishy

Here-Fishy-Fishy New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Yep that's the Here-Fishy-Fishy , lights work well for watching rods, rigging etc. make a big difference

9. sharky1

sharky1 New Member

State:
    nc
    Im not sure if you are afan of lines such as trilene high glow lines, but if you are, the green will glow like it has batteries if you use a 12 volt tube black lite, the glow is soft, an they cost about 15.00 at a auto shop. we bought ours at advance auto, its waterproof an very shock absorbent, put clips on it an lay them under the rods, you will not belive the effect, hope this helps