boat lighting

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mark29860, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hello folks, looking for ways to light my boat for night fishing I have a 16 ft aluminun boat any ideas would be appreciated.

2. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    The best way to go is a power inverter combined with a 5 watt energy saving bulb that puts out 20 watts of light.

You can run that bulb for a week on a regular boat battery.

3. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    We use a green submersible crappie light. Stick one end in a piece of inch and a quater pvc to get it up in the air. Lights up a 24ft pontoon well enough to see all the rod tips and the green lights seems to help keep the bugsaway better than a white light. Works for me....

4. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would take a 20 watt light

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm one of those hermit night fisherman.Only lights I use is the navigation lights and thats just to keep somebody from hittin me.I put glow sticks on my rod tips and thats about it.

Thats just me though.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Buy you a fluorescent work light at Northern Tool that plugs into a cigarette lighter for about $20. If you do not have cigarette lighter plug then add alligator clips.

It will light the boat up well.

7. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm with Trey on this one, I like that inverter and the energy saving bulb.A 15 watt bulbs puts out 60 watts of light. The Daylight bulbs are even brighter

8. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Hey chrisblue, where is the best place to get those glow in the dark lights for the rod tips at a decent price?

9. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    i just use a 15w flourescent tube light kinda like wyliecat was talking about for some interior lighting,and will have a 12v 50w clamp on ready for landing a fish,removing hook and baiting up,otherwise i pretty much prefer it as dark as it can be and be safe,also the anchor light will be on of course,my rods are either white or yellow,so seeing them is not that hard with minimal lighting

10. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    I like this idea but how is it with the bugs? Looks like they would be bad with a light this bright.

11. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Another trick for your rods is to wrap reflective tape (automotive dept. from wal-mart) around the first three sections from the rod tip. It reflects from the smallest amount of light and last several years. The silver works best. I also use 12 volt light bulbs purchased from the local napa store and buy the reflective clamp on receptacle from wally world......add alligator clamps and your ready to go

Im sure you local Carolina boys already know about the homeade bug repellant used by those oyster pickers in Bluffton....all natural....non greasy and best of all.......it works. Ive used it for three years and wont put anything else on. Its a little pricey, but goes a long way.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    One more trick a few of us use:

I attached my fluorescent work light to a telescoping painters pole. This allows me to run the light up high so that the entire boat is lit, and it keeps the bugs high around the light and away from me! You just put in one of your vertical rod holders and you are set. :wink:

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Wal Mart sales some small ones that clip right on to your rod tip.

Droptine77 left some on my boat that are alot bigger and you clip them on with tie straps.They are alot better than the ones from Wally World.He can tell you where to get them.I think it was off this site.

By the way Greg, I'm gone have to buy you some more of those that you left on my boat.:smile2:

14. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i buy these in amber and blue colors for my 14 ft alum, got 2 on one side, one on the other and a blue in the front facin the deck i built

cost 2.00 at wallymart, seem to use very little bat so far

has 1 wire (hot) it grounds thru the screw hole, so you need to ground your boat to your bat, easy enough to do

Attached Files:

15. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    BOC Sponser Wild Wolf Products has them on the home page. Absolutely the best deal you can get on them. Chris I have to use the green light cause I don't have more glow sticks!:smile2: As long as they are getting used thats all that matters to me!

16. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    one other suggestion for the rod tips

for a INEXPENSIVE fix buy a small can of glow in the dark paint, paint the rod from the end eyelet to the second eyelet with 2-3 coats of paint

a few seconds in a flashlight and whammo instant glow sticks

17. I use a yellow bulb in a standard clip on light rigged to a makeshift pole for
    my overall lighting. i power it using a 12 volt w/ a power invertor.
    Most of my light is from my head band spot light.
    For my rod tips, i get the little chem lights from ebay and use a little piece of scotch tape to tape it to therod tip opposite side of the line. Its very cheap to get them from ebay and they come in mutiple colors. They sure look cool in the pitch dark w/ those rod tips glowing .
    Oh yeah , they yellow light definitly cuts down on bugs too.

18. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I USE AVON SKIN SO SUFF IN A ROLL ON STICK. NO MESS, SMELLS GOOD, BUGS HATE IT.

MOOSE:cool2:

19. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Buster i'm from charleston and I go to the dollar tree in the kids section and get there glow jewllery pack for a dollar and they have 3 to 6 small glow sticks that work real nice, and will last most of the night.

20. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    We use the small headlamp's you get at wal-mart for baiting and landing fish, With glowstick's on our rod's. This way you dont have bug's coming to a light.