Boat Lighting Info?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by takirb, Apr 13, 2009.

1. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hi, i'm new to the forum and boat fishing at night as well. I've recently purchased a used pontoon and already have a camping/fishing trip planned with the guys next month. I'm really looking forward to fishing at night off the boat, but i don't know anything about boat lighting (1st time boat owner). Will the navigation lights drain the battery much if left on during the night or do i turn them off? I believe i'm supposed to have the rear light on, but last time i did this years ago it attracted too many 'squitos.

What's the best solution for me to have to keep at least "some" lighting inside/on the boat at night that won't leave me stranded with a dead battery when it's time to start the motor again? Sorry for the newb question, i'm just new to boating at night and want to be prepared.

Thanks!

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Welcome to the BOC! You will find lots of info on here about just about any topic!

The anchor light on the back of the boat has to stay on, sorry about the mosquitos. Just gonna have to use some repellant.

As far as fishing lights go, get some LED lights. The draw very little power so you should be good for a whole night of fishing. Also, if you get red they will not attract bugs and will help you keep your night vision.

Also, I dont know of too many serious catfisherman that only run on batter in their boat. You will use lights, along with other things, that use power and it's always better to have 2 batteries. You can use one and have one as a 'backup' or run the two batteries in a series.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i always used the cranking battery for just that nuthing else at all i always kept lights and uther stuff on a extra battery or two i prefer two extra batterys but thats just me at the least you need two a cranking battery and exsesory battery
    ps. welcome to the BOC

4. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the info! Looks like i'll need to fab another battery holder under the seat somewhere with switches for lighting. How about the rope lights, are they a low battery drain setup being that they're LED's? 2 short red rope lights in the rear should do the trick i hope. Do ya'll recharge your batteries everyday after a night of fishing? I'm going to be on a 4 day trip and i'm hoping to be on the boat as much as possible :)

Well, guess i'll need 3 batteries come to think of it since i hope to run the radio a bit while i'm on the water. Wow, the future wifey's REALLY gonna learn to hate me having a boat ;)

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Welcome to the world of boating. A boat is just a big hole in the water you dump money into. I didn't think my 14' aluminum jon boat would be this way, but just when you think your boat has everything, its time to add something else.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Be sure and check your lighting regs. Only certain colors are to be used on your navigation and anchoring lights.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LED strip lighting use VERY LITTLE power, and give off a heap of light. Welcome to the BOC from Bennettsville. Where is SC are you from?

BB in Sc

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    elevate your anchor light (white light aft) as much as you can. I know they make a four foot light pole, which is good for small (bass, fish and ski) boats. I'd see if I could find some tubing of the same diameter and make the light 6 or 8 foot long. Should raise the mosquito's above your level. LOL

9. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Thanks! I'm from Greenwood, SC. I'm heading to Lake Hartwell next month though, never been there before so i'm excited to see how the water level looks (heard it's up this year)

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The mast light (anchor), must be installed on the highest point of the vessel. If you are anchored after dark, that light must be visible 360 degrees. & from the front while you are underway.

Most of the navigational lights are constructed to have minimal amperage draw. As mentioned before, if you decide to have interior lighting in the boat, use LED's they draw far less amps.

HTH, Elliot