Boat License? How do I do it?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by fishassasin, Oct 9, 2007.

1. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    ok im trying to get my boat license .. i brought it from missouri. i have title and old boat registration ... is there some kind of pocess i need to go thru before getting it license or before i should go to the bureau?

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Simple to do just take em both titles.It cost me about 100 for both to be legal.No insurance needed unless you want it for peace and mind.Went last sat morning in New Albany and was in and out in less than 15.Got there before they opened.

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    First thing you will need to do is call your local Sheriff or Police and ask for them to come a do a vin or title check on it. You will have to do this since you got it out of state. This check should be no more than about $5.00 if they charge you at all. Then take vin check forms as well as title to the BMV and get it completed. Hope this helps you out. rspd507

4. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I recently had to have a boat checked by the police and there was no charge.

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Don't know aboat Indiana, but in Arkansas if you have 50 horsepower or more, then you have to have liability insurance. Mine runs me $50.00 a year for the minimum required by law!

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    ok here it the thing is ... you can see the vin#'s on either one. the trailer is so rusted over and the lil plate that had the vin # has fallen out. and i cant find the one on the boat. its so old. its a 1950 model boat. i have the old redistration or app. for the boat and trailer and the boat. i hope it works out ... ive had the boat since 91 and the trailer since 04 ... i built the trailer.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    all you need is a bill of sale for the boat .. dont even tell them you have a title!!! but you do need a title to the trailer.. and we can stamp the vin off the title into the frame and you will be good to go....

8. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    ok well have to do it

9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    The boat should not be an issue, all u need is a bill of sale which can be just a handwrittem piece of paper. A boat that old does not have to have a title in the State of Indiana, however u can title it if u wish. The trailer can and probably will need to be titled as an assembled or home made trailer. I am pretty familiar with Indiana Law, so I dont think you will have any problems. But I know for a fact that it will have to be title check done by your local Police or Sheriff's Dept. Just call them and they will come and do it for you. rspd507

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    dont have to have a cop do it here... license branch personel can check it if you take the trtailer with you...

11. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    do you have to have wheel wells on it ..

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    or i should say fender wells ...

13. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Thats true, the BMV can do it for you. However the local Police Dept may have an issue if you are caught pulling the trailer without any license plates on it while going to the BMV. Rather or not if having fender wells is an issue, I'm not sure of that. rspd507

14. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i can get on the interstate with ease and go just about anywhere i want ... but i dont want to trouble myself to much with a ticket ... one or two times maybe ... but who knows that may be the time i get the ticket... but heck i do like to live life on the edge i guess u could say ... heck i do it everyday with my wife lol