Boat leans to the left...bad. HELP

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by USE TO BE, Jul 3, 2007.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi All, I'm posting in regards to a problem my father in law is having. He bought a used 1990 Four Winns 150. Its just a little 15' v-bottom figerglass boat, but it is in good shape. When he thottles up the boat leans to the left really bad, almost the type of lean you would get when you make a sharp left turn. He can hold it straight though. We tried adjusted the trim tab to the max in both ways and it didn't help at all. There is no excessive weight on the left side, because it does this when it is just him in the boat. If you see him coming down the lake, it leans so bad that it looks like there would be 10 people sitting on the left side of the boat.

Any ideas as to what could cause this problem? It has a 50hp Johnson outboard on it. To me, it acts like the motor was improperly mounted to one side or the other of the v-bottom to cause it to pull and lean so bad to the left. Thanks.

2. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    how is the motor mounted? is it the clamp type? i think if it's pulling to the left the motor needs to be mounted higher on the transom. mine was pulling to the right and i think i had to lower it.
    Mike

3. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    More than likely the motor isn't trimmed properly. When a motor runs, the prop is trying to dig a hole in the water and push the water back away from it. I agree with BassCat. Raise the motor and make sure mounts are tight. Motor should be in the center of the transom.

One question tho.......what HP motor is it?

4. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's 50 hp. The motor is mounted in the lowest position available. He is going to raise it up a couple of holes and see what happens. Thanks.

5. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    Let us know how it works out. The 50 HP is probably getting up towards the MAX recommended HP for that boat.