boat leak.. need suggestions

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by CatSlayer715, Oct 6, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Ok, in my 16 ft flat bottom alluminum boat, it will take on some water in the back right corner near the plug..I have a pump but it doesnt work good enough. I constantly have to take a water bottle cut in half and scoop it out. I dont know if its coming from around the plug or through one of the corners or wherever. I wrapped a brand new plug with plumbers tape but that didnt seem to stop the problem. I have a welder, but not an alluminum welder so i can't use it on my boat. Will caulk (spl?) work or any other stuff to help slow down the leak??

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    can you see any hole?If not you may be able to fill some water in it and see if you can tell where it is leaking out of.I had a 1985 1652 polarkraft that would leak but I found no hole.A buddy came over and helped me tighten up the rivets.He would hold a hammer on the inside of the rivet and I would hit the outside with another hammer.This cured my problem so you may need to check the rivets out.Good luck

3. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    could possibly be a seam that has came loose a little or rivets..if it has any.. i would suggest jacking the boat up in the front ..then fill the back up with water until you see where it is leaking..then you can fix the problem..hope this helps

4. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    yea i thought about trying that but once i find it, does anyone have any ideas of a quick and easy fix?? i dont have a rivit gun. it seems like it is either around the plug or a seem in the boat..

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Great info. man . I have done the same with a hammer and dolly .

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i would also invest in a new bilge pump

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I use silacone on my john boat around the rivets and bolts.Its cheap holds realy good and won't leak.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    don't try to put pop rivets in. won't hold very good unless you can put in super heavy ones. my boat has buck rivets. two lb hammer to hold on inside, and same weight to swing on outside. two people make it lots easier. then silicone around the rivets on inside. J B weld works also if not a big hole.
    gary

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    If your boat has rivets, that's most likely where the leak is. Like others have said, get a buddy, and one hold something hard and heavy on the inside, then hammer it a little from the outside.

Filling the boat with water is the easiest way to tell where it's leaking. If it's from a rivet, you should be able to fix it. If it's somewhere else, it shouldn't be expensive at all for a weld shop to fix it. Fix it right. Caulk will probably stop the leak, but may only be temporary. If you go the caulk route, use 3M 5200.

10. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee

i removed the fitting my plug went into and resealed it stopped the leak in mine, my friend used rhino liner on the inside of his boat to seal up small leaks hope this helps.

11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    find the leak then see what you have,tighten a rivit,or if theres a crack or hole there are plenty of fairly cheap and good repairs on the market,just go to a hardware store and they have all kinds of stuff,my favorite is a 2 part putty stick that you knead together and push in and around the hole,get the kind that is for aluminum! Or if you know anyone with the correct welder,show up in his driveway with the boat and a cold 12 pack and see if he'll help ya out.

12. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I would not, in no way paint the boat with that rhino liner to stop a leak. When I bought my boat from a guy it had that crap over the whole boat. It leaked so bad when I bought it the previous owner had to run (2) bilge pumps. You could not tell where the leaks were coming from. I stripped all of it off. It took forever to get that crap off. Then I had a welder weld all the holes he could find up. After that I jacked it up and filled it with water. I crawled under it and circled all leaks with a magic marker. Everything that even dripped slowly. I then turned it upside down on Saw horses and went and got a 2 part Aluminum epoxy stuff and mixed it and finished sealing the leaks with that. I did that inside and out. Now it does not leak a drop. It is a lot of trouble but do it right and you will not have any worries later.

13. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    Is your plug the screw in type or the push in type if it's screw in get you a new plug made of brass it seals better than a regular plug if it's push in the rubber gets hard and won't seal.But if you have a crack back there you need to seal it from the outside first which you could use some of that epoxy putty on the outside let it cure and on the insde clean it up and fiberglass it. That what I did on mine it wasn't that big of a spot but it worked,my boat is 1959 aluminum boat so I know the fiberglass bonds to it good.

14. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have a 16 footer also...I would recommend doing what I did..I blocked up the tires on the trailer and filled the boat with as much water as I could to find the leak. The rivet leaks I used a polamar stick I bought from bass pro or cabalis. You use it with a small torch and it seals really good. I did as some of the other guys..I circled all the rivets that leaked then got under there later and power brushed the leaking rivets and used the polamar stick on them...stopped 9 out of 10 leaks. The only one I had to have welded was a crack from hitting rocks that was about 3 inches long. The polamer stick kept that spot from leaking for a couple months. After you paint the bottom you dont even notice the little circles you made with polamar stick. I used the stick as I had a floor in my boat and could not get to both sides of the revit.

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    There is a aluminum welding rod that ya use with a propane torch. that will work on small leaks and some not so small.

16. I agree with you Dave, I have recently been told about that stuff by a fellow member on here, Brownie525-Mike, about those sticks from Cabellas. 10 bucks and you got two in the mailbox in a few days, and it is by far the easiest and durable repair material I have ever used for aluminum boats. I actually enjoyed using it and went nuts looking for holes/cracks to seal up. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT.:wink:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

17. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you can find a leak, then useJ B weld, it works great.

18. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    The two main ways to find leaks in aluminum boats are fill boat with water as already suggested or wait till dark and get a really good light and have someone on the other side of the boat from you looking for light to shine through cracks or small holes. The second approch doesn't always show the leak areas but it works most of the time. But you have to clean out the bottom inside of your boat real good for the light to shine past all the mud and gunk that ends up in the bottom of most fishing boats.

If it's just a rivit leaking get a friend on the other side and with each of you with a hammer yall can tighten up those rivits. If it's welding that needs to be done find someone with a TIG WELDER and have them repair your boat properly. Almost all machine shops have tig welders. For heavens sake don't let anyone weld it with a MIG welder !

Jesse

19. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Should you choose to go the silicone route I highly recommend 3M 5200 fast cure. It will seal anything to anything. The area must be clean and oil free. It will work. Only drawback is once it's on there you better want it to stay. Tested it once on the transom shield of scrap boat at the shop. Put the transom shield on with 5200 fast cure and no bolts holding it on. Came back next day and hooked up 2 dodge turbodiesel trucks and tried to pull it off. Broke the transom of the boat but the shield didn't come off.

If you want it sealed forever use 5200.