Boat launching help tips - Got any

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Vonroc, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I recently purchased a 16 Xpress panfish model. The boat is a flat bottom, trailer came with boat from the factory it's a Back Tracker trailer 19' - boat and trailer all in very good condition. The trailer originally was 20' the previous owner cut off 1 ' so he could get it in his garage. The problem I have is when launching the boat by myself - which is what I always do. After backing the trailer so the wheels are under water I still have to muscle the boat off the trailer. I start by lifting the bow up slightly then pushing it back about 3 feet , then I have to reposition my footing pushing off another 2 or 3 foot before it floats freely from trailer. It's a small motor so I don't motor it off of trailer. In the beginning when backing the trailer in the water it does seem to float in the back end with the trailer wheels under water so I'm sure I have it in deep enough, vehicle wheels just at water's edge - is it possibly I'm going in too deep? The trailer has 4 flat carpeted bunks. The 2 bunks in the center are about maybe 10' long the 2 outside back bunks about 4' long - carpet in good shape. One would think with such a small boat being a flat bottom it would float off the trailer much easier. The boat is welded aluminum maybe 600lb. I thought about trying to tap the brakes to force a gravity launch or possibly buying rollers - or wetting the bunks down before leaving home. It just seems like I shouldn't have to go to these extremes to launch this boat. Loading boat back on the trailer goes smoothly, I get in the back of my pickup and with rope in hand I pull it on the trailer until it stops about 3 foot from the winch. At this point I get out of the truck get on the trailer hook winch strap on and winch it to the bow stop. What am I doing wrong?

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I'll tie a rope onto the front of the boat and to the back of my trailer, about 20', then back into the water until the boat slides off then just pull up slowly till the back of the trailer is out of the water and take the rope and pull the boat to the bank. Hopes this helps.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I seen a guy do that At carlyle spillway, and The rope broke ! LOL

5. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Same here when I had my boats. I used the rope trick. I used a 4X4 though. don't know if I'd try it with a 2 wheel drive.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've fished several bass tourneys alone and several times just backed it in the water, slammed on the brakes and let it drift. Walk down the pier and someone give me a lift to get my boat.:wink: This only works if there are folks there ya know, but it is much faster and doesn't congest the ramp.

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    as far as im concerd thats the only way, been doin that for 25 years:wink:

8. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for the tips. I already have my vehicle wheels just at waters edge now- not sure how much farther I want to go in. I'll give these tips a try though and see what happens.

9. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
  10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    von dont let your tires get in the water if it is 2 wheel drive unless you know the ramp i did that one time every time i give the truck gas i slid in the water more truck and all only thing saved me my wife was with me she held the brakes on the truck while i got the boat back to the trailor from dock and hooked the front of boat to trailor and went full throttle with the boat while she drove out barely almost blowed my boat motor uo becarefull rope trick is good make sure rope is strong and heavy duty good luck

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Tiny B has the idea but If you trust your breaks, and your rope,,,, line her up, and do the tap thing. Could not say that it is smart, but I have gotten away with it for years.

At your own risk.

12. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Go a lil further into the water. Let the boat float on its own. And,try the rope trick. It works.

13. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    With a little skill, you could cut up a cheap plastic cutting board and make those for about 8 bucks. Just cut the cutting board up into squares, drill the holes and chamfer the holes for screws.

14. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Those boat slicks work great............I use them on my pontoon boat trailer and dont have to back up in the water near as far as I did with out them. I use the wide ones (for 2x6 in boards) on my 2x4 in bunks so they cover the entire width of the board and have them spaced about three inches apart. They are a little pricey but worth the money and make launching it a whole lot easier.

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    A couple of months ago i melted candle wax onto the bunk carpet. This helped a LOT! I have a 1448 flat bottom jon boat, and its awful how hard it was to get the boat off the trailer without it! The only problem i'm having is that after a few launches the wax just isn't cutting it anymore. If you dont mind reapplying once in a while, a torch and one of those big pillar candles works great. Somebody on here suggested melting the candle in acetone, maybe this stays longer? Yall must have found some better bunk glides than I did, cause the ones i bought from boater's world were horrible. I think they were worse than just the carpet, and they were smooth plastic. On a different forum i used to visit, people were cutting up that plastic lattice and using that as bunk glides. They all swore by it. Hope this helps.

16. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've always used the rope trick it works good. The only thing is that you got to make sure that the end of the rope is tied off good. Once I launched my boat and the rope came off at the last minute when the boat came free of the trailer and floated free. There was no one anywhere around either. I had to take a swim:eek:oooh: Well at least it wasn't in the fall or winter when I launched.:wink:

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Michael, It sounds like the bunks are a little too high for the length of the trailer. Can you modify it to lower them? I don't know what your trailer looks like or if it's possible. But, thats the first thing I would think about. getting the boat a little lower to the ground.

18. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks to all for your input. I've thought about those plastic products to apply on the bunks I've seen them in Cabela's. I've also considered tapping brakes to force the launch . I don't think altering the trailer is an option . I was hoping it was operator error - even though I know what I'm doing is right. I don't want to back in any deeper - I don't want the vehicle wheels in the water . I always fish late at night by myself and don't want to be stranded when I lose traction and slip in farther . I guess I just have to face the facts my rig doesn't launch a smooth as others. I'll probably end up applying one of those plastic products to the bunks -I'll make sure I do a product review just so it might help out the next guy.

It certainly is nice though to have a great group of people to fall back on when you got a problem you need help with. Thanks again for all the input.

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Another thing you might try is check to see if springs are on top of axle, See if there is clearance to put springs on bottom of axle. Hope this might help.:wink:

20. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G

i do the same works great for me. just remember to pull up slowly or you will put your keel in the ramp or truck or trailer hard learned that the hard way:sad2: